Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breast vs bottle amounts

Default breast vs bottle amounts

While I am at work I know to send 1-1.5 ounces per hour. DD used to take 3.5 ounce bottles 5-6 during my shift and I would pump that same amount while away. So it seemed right. Now babysitter and DH says she isn't satisfied after eating that amount and is crying for more at 1 hour 45 min or sooner. But I don't pump enough for 4 ounce bottles all day and I don't think DD gets 4 ounces from me when she nurses. She used to nurse 15 min both sides each time (except middle of night feedings). Now she only nurses 15 total sometimes she will do the second side but not everytime. she has no issue latching on and seems happy to be nursing but just doesn't stay on as long anymore.

Is she more efficient now or not like nursing as much?
    Do you think she needs 4 ounces or is it just a phase?
    Is it ok to give her 4 ounce bottles even if she doesn't get that much from the breast?
    If she is drinking 4 ounce bottles will her frequency decrease?
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Default Re: breast vs bottle amounts

DD just started taking a 4 oz. bottle at 7-8 mo. She also just started going longer than 1 1'2-2 hrs. between bottles. (I think this may have to do with the amount of solids she has been eating as well)...I think all babies are different here - some babies take 5 oz. to start and go 3-4hrs.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

My DS is 4 months old and while at daycare, he usually takes 3-4 ounces every 2-3 hours. He's been this way since he was 2 months old. Now, when I'm at home with him, I'll nurse and I feel like he gets more than 3-4 ounces. Obviously all babies are different, but I would think the main thing is to ensure that your baby is satisfied and is gaining weight. About pumping, like you, I don't pump the same amount that my son takes in during the day. I might pump half or three-fourths of that amount. While I was on maternity leave, I was able to pump and freeze alot of my milk. However, recently, my frozen supply has gotten low and I've started supplementing with formula while he's a daycare.....only two bottles though (about 8 ounces). This will help me to build my frozen milk supply up.

I do have a freezer stash, the amounts are all funky though. When I started we froze 2 ounce bags but then DD drank 3 ounces so I started do 3 ounces, then 3.5 ounces and now 4 ounces. Crazy, shoulda just stuck with the 2 ounces then I could put 2 bags in one bottle. I will have to make sure I pump when I DD doesn't empty me at home on my days off to be sure to keep the stores from getting low to soon.

My DD is 12 weeks yesterday.
    13mos and counting

My son started out taking 4 oz bottles at daycare every 3 hours, then 4.5 oz, and now takes 5 oz every 4 hours or so. But he eats solids too now. I would recommend increasing amounts by just a 1/2 an oz or so, so you don't waste any. She will take what she needs.

Slow flow bottle like the Breastflow. www.kellymom.com

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My sister is having the same problem. She is pumping three times at work then twice at night to keep up. Her son is sleeping through so she pumps before she goes to bed and wakes up around 2 am to pump again. At the 2 am pump she only pumps the amount she needs for the day so if it is 1 oz to get up to 17 oz she stops at 1. (just in case her DS wakes up and wants to nurse).
    *leslie*
    Proud mama of Aubrey Anna; BF since 1/22/2008
    born 6 weeks early weighed 4lbs 6oz, got down to 4lb even.
    2 weeks 4lbs 4oz
    1 month 5lbs 12oz
    2 months 8 lbs 6oz
    4 months 12lbs 6 oz

"jersey cow" attached to my pump for the first month since she was in the hospital so long. (that was worse than anything my daughter can do to me)

BF goals: 1 month, 2 months, 3 months (back to work), 4 months, 5 months, 6 months, and where ever we end up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*theresa.bug View Post
    While I am at work I know to send 1-1.5 ounces per hour. DD used to take 3.5 ounce bottles 5-6 during my shift and I would pump that same amount while away. So it seemed right. Now babysitter and DH says she isn't satisfied after eating that amount and is crying for more at 1 hour 45 min or sooner. But I don't pump enough for 4 ounce bottles all day and I don't think DD gets 4 ounces from me when she nurses. She used to nurse 15 min both sides each time (except middle of night feedings). Now she only nurses 15 total sometimes she will do the second side but not everytime. she has no issue latching on and seems happy to be nursing but just doesn't stay on as long anymore.

Is she more efficient now or not like nursing as much?
    Do you think she needs 4 ounces or is it just a phase?
    Is it ok to give her 4 ounce bottles even if she doesn't get that much from the breast?
    If she is drinking 4 ounce bottles will her frequency decrease?
    I just want to clarify a bit to give you better suggestions. How long are your shifts, and how often are the caregivers giving her the 3.5 ounce bottles? Are you giving 5-6 3.5 oz bottles per day? Is that what you meant?
    And do you mean that she's hungry an hour and 45 minutes later, or 45minutes to 1 hour later?

In the meantime, suggestions off the top of my head are:

1. Make sure you're using slow flow nipples only like a pp suggested. If you are, then check them and/or buy new slow flow nipples in case. Nipples do wear out over time, and just from use, a slow flow nipple can start to widen a bit and flow more milk out of it over time.

2. How about trying a bit larger bottle, like 4 ounces, but the same amount of bm given over the course of the day? A bit more milk at a time might = a longer time in between bottles, so you'd still be doing 1-1.5 ounces per hour while you're away, but if baby got more in one sitting, it's possible baby would go a little bit longer b4 needing a bottle and all would work out in the end.

the nipple she would drink fom was for a standard bottle, would not take breast like or wide mouth. We are using premie nipple which I just bought bran new.

I work 12.5 hour shifts...it kills me to be away that long but then I only work 3 days.

She lasts 1 hour and 45 min with 3.5 ounce bottle. If she takes a nap then it is 2.5 hours.

DH gets to watch her sat and sun so we will try 4 oz bottles and see how she does before going to sitter on wed

She doesn't sleep through night but doesn't empty me either so I usually will pump after she eats to get a few "free" ounces to add to my stash or now it will be to prep for sitter days I guess.

thanks for all of your suggestions
    13mos and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*theresa.bug View Post
    She lasts 1 hour and 45 min with 3.5 ounce bottle. If she takes a nap then it is 2.5 hours.
    This is normal....DD did this up until a month or 2 ago...
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.