Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to increase # of meals?

Default when to increase # of meals?

my ds is 6 1/2 months now and showed early signs of interest in solids so we started him at about 5 months. i've been feeding him solids once a day and am wondering when i should increase the number of meals to twice a day...and then to 3 times a day.
    (at our 6 months appt, pedi said he should be doing 3 meals a day already. am i behind?)

also, this may be a weird question to ask, but how do you keep lo from getting so messy? ds likes to grab the spoon and try to feed himself so the food can get all over the place...this is why i feed him in the evening, so that we can follow up with a bath not too long after. i know i can't give him a bath after every meal, so any advice on how to deal with the mess?

thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*baby.mama; July 15th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Default Re: when to increase # of meals?

Nope no ideas because, well - kids are messy . '

We did what most refer to as 'baby led solids' so they were never spoon fed... figure they get just as messy so might as well let them learn to feed themselves... good idea to try if you'd like can be found here andhere or here.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baby.mama View Post
    my ds is 6 1/2 months now and showed early signs of interest in solids so we started him at about 5 months. i've been feeding him solids once a day and am wondering when i should increase the number of meals to twice a day...and then to 3 times a day.
    (at our 6 months appt, pedi said he should be doing 3 meals a day already. am i behind?)

also, this may be a weird question to ask, but how do you keep lo from getting so messy? ds likes to grab the spoon and try to feed himself so the food can get all over the place...this is why i feed him in the evening, so that we can follow up with a bath not too long after. i know i can't give him a bath after every meal, so any advice on how to deal with the mess?

thanks!
    We are probably always behind what DD is ready for because she is changing so fast. Grabbing the spoon is advanced and that is good. We fed 1 time a day at 6 months and quickly moved to 2. We do two because it is convenient for us, Im sure DD would be happy to eat solids 3 or 4 times a day.

As far as the mess goes, I wont let her grab the spoon if I dont want to make a mess. I put the spoon in front of her mouth and I dont put too much on it. I also use the spoon to scrape around her mouth to keep her from dripping all over. We also use a rubber bib with a big catch basin. It probably isnt as fun for her, but it makes much less of a mess. We are traveling right now so we dont let her feed herself at the moment.

Feeding her solid chunks that are more firm like chicken or even bread (we are at 8 months) lessens the mess significantly

I'm not sure when you would want to increase the meals...we started offering her three "meals" a day probably around 7MO and now we pretty much do three meals a day with a snack (strictly self-feeding finger-foods) inbetween. But, I really don't worry about DD eating too much. She doesn't eat very much solids at each sitting, so I'm confident she's not overdoing it. If you are worried that the solids will replace breastmilk too much, you can follow this menu. HTH!

Oh, and regarding the mess, what I do is always put out less messy finger foods on her highchair tray and then inbetween her bites I offer bites of the messier purees. She does like to grab the spoon from me to feed herself (I often give her her own spoon) and I try to be very neutral in my reactions if the spoon lands on her head or on her clothes, b/c I don't want it to become a game. If your LO sees that you give a big reaction when he does messy things, than he'll continue to do them for the reaction. GL!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

thank you for the link to the menu ...

i just have one comment, my lo is 5,5 months now and still only on breastmilk, however he only nurses 4 times a day and sleeps through. he's gaining weight and very healthy, so that's ok right?

thanks for sharing ladies.

and looking at the helpful menu link, jeannie.bean, looks like doing one meal a day is fine, but it seems they actually don't introduce dinner until a yr. old. as i mentioned, i do only 1 meal and it's at around dinner time, in the evening, more out of convenience, so that he can be bathed soon after. is there a reason for starting off solids for breakfast? should i be doing his meal in the morning instead? the thing is, it fits so nicely as part of our bedtime routine,...eat, play a little, bath, read, sing songs, bf, sleep.

fwiw, my lo is 9 mos old and mainly eats solids at dinner because that's what best fits our schedule. I've just started offering her a little something either in the a.m. or at lunch, usually from what I'm eating if it's appropriate. At her 9 mo check up, my pedi just said she should work up to 3 meals a day by the time she's a year old. I think that's pretty standard. keep in mind, even if you offer more often, they may or may not consume much more food, every baby is different. I would just follow your babies cues and what makes sense with your schedule.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jadesmama View Post
    fwiw, my lo is 9 mos old and mainly eats solids at dinner because that's what best fits our schedule. I've just started offering her a little something either in the a.m. or at lunch, usually from what I'm eating if it's appropriate. At her 9 mo check up, my pedi just said she should work up to 3 meals a day by the time she's a year old. I think that's pretty standard. keep in mind, even if you offer more often, they may or may not consume much more food, every baby is different. I would just follow your babies cues and what makes sense with your schedule.
    thank you. ds is doing really well with his evening meal, so perhaps i'll try an am feed and see how he does and, as you said, follow his cue.
    ....i was quite surprised when his pedi said he should already be doing meals 3 times a day. i don't want to rush it. thanks for sharing!

When we first introduced spoon foods I'd hold DS on my lap. His right arm would be confined between our bodies, and my left arm would go around behind him and hold his left hand. That meant his hands were occupied and my right hand was free to hold the spoon. Hope that makes sense.

DD won't eat anything off of a spoon...she will only eat chunks of foods we are eating. We have been eating 3 meals a day probably since around 7 or 7 1/2 mo. She is probably ready for a snack between lunch and dinner!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.