Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! What's happening?!

Default Help! What's happening?!

I was away from my 8 month old baby for too long today, and I didn't have my pump with me. (I only expected to be away for a couple of hours, it ended up being 5) When I saw him, he would only nurse from one side. I've been trying the rest of the day to get him to nurse from the other side (because I still didn't have my pump), but he's just learned to crawl, and really doesn't want to nurse much today. So then when we got home, I tried to pump from my terribly engorged right side, but could only produce less than an ounce. I usually get 5-6 ounces!I tried to let baby induce my let down for me, but to no avail. I KNOW it's full of milk because I can see it and feel it, but the milk won't come out! Help! What's going on?

Default Re: Help! What's happening?!

have you tried hand exprssion? NAK sorry
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Yes, I did try hand expression, but I'm not very good at it, and can only get few drops this way. Is this my milk drying up or something?! I've got baby at my breast right now and he's sucking, but I don't hear him swallowing.

It's ok!! Sometimes when we are engorged it's harder to let down, get baby to nurse on that side and harder to pump.
    Breathe, think good milk flowing thoughts, let your body relax.

I promise you won't dry up in a day! How does he seem to be nursing now? If he got bored with it keep trying, nighttime you can usually get them to nurse really well.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thank you. I needed that reassurance. He's fallen asleep, though he's still attached. I'm thinking I'll try to pump again after I lie him down. I've never had any problem with let down before, although I've never gone engorged for so many hours before either!

Sometimes a warm bath will help with a letdown - saw that on a LLLI video yesterday.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fabmom View Post
    Sometimes a warm bath will help with a letdown - saw that on a LLLI video yesterday.
    ohh yeah a steamy shower worked for me in the beginning
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks for those suggestions. That's exactly what I did (hot shower) Then nursed him again. First the engorged side, which he didn't seem to have much luck with, then the other side, which he got LOTS of gulps from. Then I tried to pump the engorged side again, while massaging the milk ducts in a downward fashion. Nothing. Now the ducts on the top of my breast are getting VERY hard, reminiscent of mastitis. I'm just going to keep nursing him throughout the night. and doing the massage thing. Hopefully I'll wake up feeling a little more normal. My fear is that if the milk is stored in the breast, and it can't get out for whatever reason, will it dry up eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bellaluna View Post
    My fear is that if the milk is stored in the breast, and it can't get out for whatever reason, will it dry up eventually?
    I'm by no means an expert but i think it'd be more likely to get infected, or clogged or something.... can you do another shower then pump that engorged side right away or hand express it in the shower?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

How's it going this morning?

Take a look at these two (non LLL) resources for some tips on helping out the engorgement.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

If milk never got out of your breast, then yes eventually it would decrease the milk supply until there was none. Doing that cold turkey though might result in plugged ducts and mastitis which are no fun at all!
    Keep trying!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!