Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and problems?

Default pumping and problems?

OK....so LO is 7.5 weeks and I started pumping a little over a week ago to prep for work (I return in 4 weeks). So what I am doing is feeding followed by pumping 30-40 minutes post. I do this about 3-4 times a day since I do not want a "low" supply for the evenings. Lately I have noticed that she is eating hourly in the evenings. Could this be a growth spurt? Do you think I am overpumping and not leaving her much? She has over 5 pees and 3 poos a day and seems content. Is there anything I could be doing better or differently? BTW...when I pump I never get more than 2 oz from right and sometimes only 10ml from left....is this about right? Will the volume pick up soon?
    thanks
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

Default Re: pumping and problems?

When I was pumping after nursing, the LC recommended seven minutes. 30-40 sounds long to me. Your LO is also still working on building and establishing your supply, so that cluster nursing in the evening could be her nursing more often to tell your body to produce more for her. Some babies, like mine at that age, just really preferred to be at the breast constantly in the evening.

Does she pull off of the breast crying? That could be a sign that the flow is low, but even then it doesn't mean that you're not producing enough. Most women produce less milk in the evening and the most in the morning.

By the way, two ounces extra after a feeding at this point sounds totally normal.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

She does not come off the nipple crying so I dont think it is a flow problem...the problem is an overactive flow but we have adjusted to this by positioning. I pump 30-40 minutes AFTER I breastfeed her and pump for only 15 minutes. I read that if you dont pump "at least" 15 min, you dont empty and you produce less.
    Maybe she is still regulating her supply....hope we do well at work. I am a nurse and will work 12 hr shifts...my fear is that we will be sooo busy that I will not be able to pump....scary thought!
    I WANT to BF for 1 yr....I pray that all goes well
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

Frequent nursing in the evening is very very common. If everything else is going well (which it sounds like it is) then it may just be the way things are for now.
    The lower supply in the evenings is hormonal and not usually a drastic decrease, this coupled with the "international baby fussy hour" often causes mothers a lot of worry!
    The amount your getting while pumping is great, it will increase when you are actually replacing a nursing session with pumping. Right now your creating an extra supply so it's like you've got another baby your nursing who's not asking for much so your body isn't making that much extra.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I LOVE OUR GROUPS!!!
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

If your getting that much after she nurses - i think your doing great. I dont know if I would pump for 30 minutes though. I only pumped like 10 minutes after my LO nursed.