Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ? - Pumping Frequency and Time

Default ? - Pumping Frequency and Time

I pump at work and EBF when not at work.
    My workplace is VERY flexible with how often and how long I pump.
    I've been playing around with the frequency and amount of times that I pump.

FYI: Last breastfeeding is between 8:00 - 8:30am. I get home and breastfeed again by 5:30pm. DD is 7.5 months old and really only eats BM

I used to pump at 10:45am, 1:00pm, and 3:15pm for 15-20 minutes each time.

Then I changed to pumping at 10:15am, 12:00pm, 1:45pm and 3:30pm for about 10-15 minutes each time.

I'm not sure which is better. I THOUGHT that I read that the Frequency is more important than the Amount of Time. Is that true?
    What has worked for you? How often/long do you pump at work?

Default Re: ? - Pumping Frequency and Time

Frequency is often found to be better for milk supply than length of each pumping session. An empty breast makes milk. A full breast tells the body that it doesn't need to make milk. So, if the milk sits in the breast for a longer period, the body will eventually slow down milk production. Initially, it appears that more milk is being produced, because more milk is expressed, but that amount often goes down to the previous level after several days, so that less milk is ultimately produced.

Switch nursing and nursing more often is often suggested to mothers trying to increase their supply, too.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Frequency is better for maintaining supply, and if you're able to empty the breast in 10-15min then that should be ok. 20min is recommended when trying to build a low supply.

If your workplace is flexible enough to allow you to pump four times, then go for it. That's rare and wonderful!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I pump 3 times while at work. I pump for about 10-15 minutes each time and this has always been fine for me (this is my second time around at this)

If you are worried about supply or trying to make more milk - I would keep up the 4 pumping times.