Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poops, oversupply, and fussiness questions

Default Green poops, oversupply, and fussiness questions

Hi! I have a huge oversupply, especially uncomfortabe in the mornings. It's gotten a little better since I started letting ds nurse on one side for 3-4 hour blocks. We've been working on it for a couple weeks now (ds is 10 weeks).
    Here are the problems we are still havingand my questions:
    Ds still have green poops once or twice a day...a couple yellow in between. Is this ok?
    He latches on good but then slides down to the tip or bites down on me to control the flow. How can I fix that?
    He sleeps from about 10pm to 6am every night. Should I wake and feed him so I'm not so engorged in the mornings or will this go away? Would it be alright to express all that exra milk for later or will that make it worse?
    He sometimes will get very fussy (and he always seems to be very gassy). Is it ok to give gas drops? He spits up a lot too, but that is getting better-although sometimes a bit of what he spits up is yellowish.
    Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Green poops, oversupply, and fussiness questions

For slowing down the flow while nursing, and especially during let-down, try using a V or "scissor" hold on your breast. This makes and easier shape for the baby to latch to than a very full, rounded breast and also slows down the flow through some of the ducts. Also experiment with positions. I've found that my daughter does better when we nurse in bed at night, so I've starting laying down in bed to nurse her during the day sometimes, too. And there are other positions that might work. Just try to get gravity on your side.
    There shouldn't be a problem with expressing some of your milk in the morning to use later, at least in the short term. In fact, you might consider pumping past the first let-down for every feeding. I think it depends on what kind of pump you're using. I've found that my hand-pump doesn't stimulate further milk production very much, but I've heard that electric pumps often do. I'm not totally sure, though, so hopefully someone else can offer you a second opinion.
    The green poo, especially if it's frothy, and the gas might be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (a common problem when oversupply is an issue).
    A website that I found helpful when initially dealing with similar issues myself is: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Good luck!

Default Re: Green poops, oversupply, and fussiness questions

Quote Originally Posted by christielee7278
    Should I wake and feed him so I'm not so engorged in the mornings or will this go away?
    Hi, I had a similar situation myself. After the longer night stretch, my breast felt it was ready to explode. I was worried I would get an infection as well. However, I decided to let things go to see and just recently my milk supply stabilized and I am no longer waking up super engorged. I am definately full, but it's no longer uncomfortable.

So having said that, you may want to wait a little longer to see if your production changes at all. I am at 10 weeks tomorrow.

Hope that helps.
    Kristen