Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids & nursing sessions

Default solids & nursing sessions

my lo is 7 months old. we started him on solids at about 5 1/2 months and he totally loves them. my questions is, shouldn't he be going longer between nursing sessions if he's eating solids. according to a few websites, my ped., and my mom (who nursed all 4 kids) this is what he should be doing. but in fact he's doing just the opposite. he used to nurse every 3 hours, and even slept 6-8 hours most nights. well, he stopped sleeping through the night around 3-4 months old and would wake to eat once at night (which i was fine with.) but now, he wants to eat anywhere between 2-3 hours and mostly it's every 2-2 1/2 hours even if he's had solids in between. he also eats 2-3 times a night now. this has been going on pretty much since we starting solids. he only eats 2x a day plus nurses about 8-9, when he used to only nurse 6-7 times a day with no solids. do you think i should increase his solids? i plan on weaning him around a year old. i'd also like to night wean him. obvisouly i don't want to deprive him of proper nutrition, but his eating habits seem to be the opposite of what i've been told should happen.

Default Re: solids & nursing sessions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*matthew.mom View Post
    my lo is 7 months old. we started him on solids at about 5 1/2 months and he totally loves them. my questions is, shouldn't he be going longer between nursing sessions if he's eating solids. according to a few websites, my ped., and my mom (who nursed all 4 kids) this is what he should be doing. but in fact he's doing just the opposite. he used to nurse every 3 hours, and even slept 6-8 hours most nights. well, he stopped sleeping through the night around 3-4 months old and would wake to eat once at night (which i was fine with.) but now, he wants to eat anywhere between 2-3 hours and mostly it's every 2-2 1/2 hours even if he's had solids in between. he also eats 2-3 times a night now. this has been going on pretty much since we starting solids. he only eats 2x a day plus nurses about 8-9, when he used to only nurse 6-7 times a day with no solids. do you think i should increase his solids? i plan on weaning him around a year old. i'd also like to night wean him. obvisouly i don't want to deprive him of proper nutrition, but his eating habits seem to be the opposite of what i've been told should happen.
    We are experiencing the same thing at 8 months, it started slightly before 6 months. We think she is just growing so fast right now she is hungry all the time. I see a lot of this trend on the forum.

Default Re: solids & nursing sessions

My lo is 11 mos and has been eating solids since 5 mos and has never really cut back on nursing sessions. She gets 3 meals and a snack and still nurses 4x's during the day and 2-3x's at night. During these last 6 months she's gotten increasingly more active (sitting, then crawling, now cruising) so I assume she is burning lots of calories.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09