Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just A Question...

Question Just A Question...

Hi!! I was hoping someone could answer this question for me. My husband and I are very curious. I have been breastfeeding my daughter since day 1. I also pump and bottle feed occasionally. I have 2 other children and sometimes it's just not possible to sit down and nurse her. Anyway. Yesterday was a very busy day and I was only able to nurse my daughter in the morning, then I pumped and bottle fed the rest of the day. At around 2 p.m. she started to get very cranky and kept acting like she was hungry,she would root like crazy on anything, so my husband kept making her bottles. She would eat 1 or 2 ounces and that was it, but she kept acting fussy. When I got home I made dinner and the whole time she was fussy and would only nap for 20 minutes at a time. No amount of breastmilk in the bottle was enough. After dinner I took her to her room, she was crying the entire way, sat down and nursed her. As soon as I put her to my breast she got quiet and ate like a champ!! Now, my question is this......is it possible that she was going through withdrawals? Do breastfed babies need their mothers' breast? Thanks so much!

Default Re: Just A Question...

I believe so

They are getting much more than just nutrition from the breast, they are getting comfort and love
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

they do need the breast. bf babies use the breast as a form of comfort as well as nourishment. they also need skin to skin contact. it sounds like maybe your lo just needed some closeness and comfort. it is possible to get that from your dh as well if he needs to feed your lo by bottle. if possible, like while at home, your dh could hold the baby close with no shirt on while feeding. even when feeding with a bottle the baby should still be held and cradled as though bf. also, if you were busy and couldn't spend much time, your lo probably just missed you. alot of woth moms have the same thing happen when they get home from work. babies love their mommas!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I would say that most breastfeed babies want the breast over the bottle.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Absolutely!! My lo does the same exact thing. No amount of food can compensate for the feeling of skin to skin contact. My lo will fall asleep before he even latches sometimes. It was great to see your post. My husband always jokes, "He's doing the booby song again!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy-to-landin View Post
    I would say that most breastfeed babies want the breast over the bottle.
    They get so much more than nutrition from your breasts.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Breastfeeding is definitely more than just milk. It's the familiar, calming sound of mom's heartbeat and breathing. It's the comforting smell of mom's skin. It's the feeling of snuggling in mom's warm arms. It's the natural taste of mom's breast, instead of the taste of a silicon bottle nipple. A baby spends 9 months surrounded by its mom's body. Breastfeeding is a wonderful way for a baby to recapture that sense of peace and security.

Have you considered getting a sling and breastfeeding on the go? It's a tricky skill, but if you can manage it you might be able to pump only when you want to, instead of feeling like you must pump so that you needn't choose between taking care of your older children and breastfeeding. Here's an illustration of how to breastfeed in a ring sling, with links to videos.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with all the previous posters. If baby wants breast, nothing else will do.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Have you considered getting a sling and breastfeeding on the go? It's a tricky skill, but if you can manage it you might be able to pump only when you want to, instead of feeling like you must pump so that you needn't choose between taking care of your older children and breastfeeding. Here's an illustration of how to breastfeed in a ring sling, with links to videos.

I would agree with giving this a shot. I would imagine it takes longer time, in total to pump and prepare and wash/clean bottles that it would to learn these "on the go" techniques.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I completely agree w/pp . I pump 1 bottle a day so that my hubby can do the last feeding so I can take a break and also to tank her up for the night. But I'm always pumping during my break and it does take longer to pump that 1 bottle (usually 2 sessions) than to just bf.
    Sometimes she fusses after having the entire bottle (which should be more than enough milk) and I'll have to go and put her to the breast anyway, she'll immediately fall asleep.
    I'm sure bfing babies love the closeness to mommy.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby