Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its been a WEEK is my milk ever going to come in?

Default Its been a WEEK is my milk ever going to come in?

My friend just had a baby...
    She was sick after labor.. had to take some medicine... her baby had to have some supplementation....
    She has PCOS and had a c-section. He was 11 13oz when he was born.. and now he is 10lbs 7 ounces.

So the question is...
    what are some things that she can do to up her milk supply?

She is being such a trooper and wants this to work.

Any suggestions...
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: Its been a WEEK is my milk ever going to come in?

lots of skin to skin contact! lots of nursing! lots of water!

sorry -
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I would venture to guess that the reason her milk isn't coming in or she has "low supply" is that the baby was supplemented early on (through no fault of her own, obviously, but that's probably still the reason). The good news is that she can reverse the situation! The baby needs to be at the breast, and a LOT, in order to stimulate the milk to come in.
    So the solution is most likely to put that baby to her breast as often as possible!

She needs to not worry about anything else and simply rest, eat, drink, sleep, and nurse her baby. I agree on lots of close contact and skin-to-skin. I recall all of my babies nursing at least every hour if not more often until my milk came in. Let her know this is normal and that once her milk is in he probably won't nurse as often.

If you can, offer some help around the house to assist her in focusing on the baby and nothing else.

HTH! I think she can overcome this rough start and have a successful, beautiful nursing relationship with her little blessing!

ETA: There are supplements that can be used to increase milk supply, but that may not be necessary yet. Oatmeal can help some people. A consultation with a qualified lactation consultant might be in order as well.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Can you have her call a LL leader to help with some of the details, too??

WHat is indicating to her that her milk isn't in?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Can you have her call a LL leader to help with some of the details, too??

WHat is indicating to her that her milk isn't in?
    She hasn't really heard him swallowing and hasn't seen milk around the edges of her babies mouth. She also hasn't "felt" her milk coming in or seen milk from her nipples.

Yesterday she said that she thought she saw a little bit of fluid come out.

Her baby was 11 pounds 13 ounces and is now down to 10 pounds 7 ounces. I think that has her concerned also!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

I also wonder why she does not think her milk is in. Most first time mothers don't know what to look for. A lot of mothers do not "feel" their milk come in either. My DD was in the NICU and I was pumping and I did not realize my milk had come in until the nurse said "hey, you are getting milk already". I had not sudden feeling of anything. How is the diaper output? Is she still supplementing? I would try to cut back on supplements and let the baby do what s/he is supposed to. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I had a similar situation with DD's birth. (A traumatic labor/delivery and DD was in hospital for a week.) It was a good week and a half before I got the "engorged" feeling. I did not supplement - breast is best - and lots of that to get her milk supply up. I pretty much just laid in bed all day with DD for several days to have the skin to skin contact and to get my rest. Mom needs to take care of herself also, drink a lot, and oatmeal does wonders for me. I can tell when I don't have any for a day.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Tell her to definately rest and relax and be witht he baby skin to skin as much as possible. I didn't feel my milk come in. I took a shower, bent over to start to dry my hard and was dripping....that's how I knew it had come in! Tell her to keep trying and have lots of patience. She did have a big baby and I can understnad her concern with him dropping wait, but some of that could also be due to the medication she recieved, he may have been slightly bloated at birth, as odd as that sounds, it can happen. Best of luck and one more thing, send her here or to a local lll or lactation consusultant as much as possible. If good resources are available, take advantage as much as needed!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Goats Rue!! it helps develop mammary tissue. It is a really common issue from moms with PCOS. I recommend Motherlove they have a goats rue liquid extract and a blend with goats rue and fenugreek. I would go to there website and check it out. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

I will let her know that. Just so everyone knows her milk has come in great and her baby is feeding away! She was such a trooper.. but mommy and baby are doing great!