Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching and Breast feeding

Default Re: Teaching and Breast feeding

i had my first lo in june so i had the whole summer with her before going back to school in august. somehow i managed to pump for the entire school year to get to her first birthday (and since it was almost summer we kept going!). i just had numero dos in april and am staying home for now.

i taught kindergarten and was fortunate enough to have my own closet. i nursed before we left in the morning, pumped at lunch and/or planning (i was a team leader so i had lots of meetings during "planning", pumped after school, and nursed right when we got home. i had mother's milk tea every morning along with oatmeal which helped my supply stay up.

i too felt like i had to come in early or stay late (even after 7 years!). i choose to take a lot of stuff home but also made the best use of my time pumping. i took a laptop in my closet with me to email/make stuff/report cards/etc. i also used the time to read ahead for curriculum and planning (i was piloting a new math series). i think by the end of the year i could even cut laminating and color stuff while pumping and i ate my lunch in 3 bites during this time as well. i also had two sets of horns so i didn't have to clean anything until i got home. i also had an extra stash of medela bags just in case i forgot the bottles (i pumped directly in to dr. browns to save a step). everything was assembled in my bag ready to go so all i had to do was pump--not get stuff ready. there were probably days when i missed a pumping session (i can remember a day when i forgot my pump completely-ouch) and i would make up for it at night or early the next morning--oh the stress of needing 1-2 more ounces at the last minute, sigh.

my point is, you can make it work as best as you are willing and able to make it work. getting a routine/schedule helped me a ton and then i didn't forget parts. i won't lie, it was crazy busy...but worth it. my team wasn't really helpful but i think they saw how hard i was working and respected that. someone put a cowbell on my door with a sign that said moo.

do the best you can with what resources you have! good luck.

]

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

Thanks for all the tips.

It is a huge commitment to breast feed and pump, but I'm learning that formula-feeding and bottle feeding is also a commitment!

I pumped and gave my first lo bm for a year. He is so healthy! No issues with ear infections, allergies, chronic sickness, etc.

It's worth it!

Good job Momma!

Wow lots of good advice I am reading from this thread. My concern is: I am a first time mommy and my lo will be 3 mons on wednesday. I am also a first time teacher. I just got my job a few weeks ago and am still getting my paperwork in order. I student taught at this school and know the principal and have told him I plan to pump during the day. He told me they have plenny of places to do so. I am worried I wont have time as a first year teacher vs. a seasoned one. I will be teaching American Literature also and I specialized in British so I wanted to do a lot of my work at school which I am affriad might cut into my pumping. My son is EBF at the moment and has been since he was born (May 20 2008, I graduated collage May 3, 2008 ). Any advice would be awesome!!!

Here are some things I wish I knew before teaching and breast feeding/pumping:

1. good job letting your principal know up front. it helps to have open communication about what you are doing (i.e. if you are late to meetings, etc. b/c of pumping).

2. i think it is good to practice pumping at home before you go back to work. i could never pump and do other things (eat, grade, etc.) like some teachers can, but with some practice, I can get a full pumping in only 10 min. everyone is different, so it helps to practice and get to know your own body.

3. pack your pump the night before. buy extra pump parts and you can even leave some at school. pump directly into bottles or bags, if you can. saves a step.

4. is your lo getting a bottle from someone to get him ready?

5. be prepared that your milk supply might decrease. pumping is not the same as nursing. don't worry there are lots of great and easy ways to keep up your supply. search the threads or start your own if you need more info.

6. find a local lactation consultant. mine is amazing and is still helping me w/ my second baby.

i hope that helps. i could write more ... but already this is too long.

let us other teachers know how it is going and if you need more help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommy View Post
    I am an elementary school special education teacher and had to go back to work when my lo was eight weeks old. It was soo hard for me to part with her (My goal is to be home by this time next year....)

I really was concerned about pumping and breastfeeding and didn't want to have to supplement at all... for me it worked out awesome. I drank 110 ounces of water a day and took part of my planning to pump. Once I got pumping down i would usually pump at 12:00. This was kind of my routine...

I got up at five thirty and would bf my baby. Then I'd get ready for work and bf again at six thirty... as much as she would do. I left to go to work by six forty-five. Then I would pump between 12 and 1 (usually for about twenty minutes) and then i would be home around four or four thirty most afternoons and nursed her the moment I got home.

It was hard at first, but you can do this.
    OT-But Happy 1st B-day to your LO!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

He has had two bottles since he came home because I was having some emotional issues when we got home. This weekend my mom is going to bottle feed him. I have a small freezer stock pile. Your list is very helpful. I need to find a place to pump but I don't know what my classes are going to be llike yet. I know the health teacher said I could use her office but I am not sure if that will be to far away to have to travel. I also believe I have decreased my milk supply being so stressed about the whole situation. I have been pumping after my morning feedings and sometimes a few feedings after that to try to increase my supply. Thank you so much for the advice!!!
    Married Collage Sweetheart June 30, 2007
    Started Student Teaching Spring 2008
    Graduated May 3 2008
    Gave Birth to Ethan Bradley May 20, 2008
    & for 14 months
    Gave Birth to Penelope Star June 22, 2011 & & cloth diapers all the way with this one

I always pumped in my car in the parking lot during lunch or prep. i also work in the inner city so it was a great break time to get out of the building and just rest and think in my car. Coworkers would sometimes come up to me and talk to me and I'd be sitting there pumping away, lmao. Of course, I had a blanket over my chest and you couldn't see a thing. Anywhere you can pump is great and my car worked great for me. You can even grade papers and do other work!!

What kind of a pump do you use? I have a Medela pump n style and always found it difficult to pump and do other things at the same time. How do you get your hands free to do work?

I have a medela pump n style also. I have two teacher friends I eat with and they get my lunch out while I pump because we only have 20min for lunch. I am late to class all the time. I have 1st block planning which is nice. I had brought my supply back up by drinking like 4 to 5 bottles of water but found that I didn't not have time to potty and would have to hold it. I only eat while pumping. I pump twice a day and am going to try and pump three times once we don't have to report to homeroom anymore. My problem now is balancing family time with all of the extra work I have being a first year teacher.
    Married Collage Sweetheart June 30, 2007
    Started Student Teaching Spring 2008
    Graduated May 3 2008
    Gave Birth to Ethan Bradley May 20, 2008
    & for 14 months
    Gave Birth to Penelope Star June 22, 2011 & & cloth diapers all the way with this one

One thing you might want to look into is a Medela Freestyle pump (info here http://www.medelafreestyle.com/, cheapest place to buy I've found here http://bestbuybaby.com/mefrhafrbr.html). I only have one chance to pump during the day, but I pump in the car after I drop off DS (I only get a little, but every bit counts) and in the car on the way to pick him up. The pumping on the way to get him is by far my largest of the day. And during my "break" pumping I can eat lunch, do paperwork, etc., because the pump is 100% hands-free.

Even better, I can add an easy extra pumping in the evening while I'm doing something else (like right now, for example - TMI?).

Seriously, I LOVE this pump, it has saved my sanity and lets me get back to DS 30 minutes earlier at the end of the day. (And I've "made back" the $ it cost to buy it - I already had a pump in style - in what I've saved on babysitting fees at the end of each day.)

I would also suggest using a slow-flow bottle so that your LO doesn't get as used to the fast feel of bottle-feeding. We have used the Playtex VentAire bottle with Stage 1 nipple (even though DS is 10mo we haven't switched to a "faster" nipple), and it's worked pretty well for us - no nipple confusion so far.

Good luck - you can do it!
    Last edited by @llli*imma2nonstopaa; September 7th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png