Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching and Breast feeding

Default Re: Teaching and Breast feeding

Hi,
    I'm a high school teacher and was lucky enough to have been off since Jan but will be returning next month . I think it makes it a bit more difficult now that we've been together (inseparable ) for 6 months and now I must leave her since our bank account has significantly decreased. I have been blessed with the opportunity of only going back for half days (i couldn't bear to leave her for a full day) I know that's not an option for everyone but God blessed my husband with a promotion and if necessary I can do some tutoring on the side. She's still EBF and will be for a bit longer since she was 4wks early and I want to make sure her digestive system is running 100%. She still eats every 2 hrs during the day and wakes up 2-3 times to nurse @ night. Therefore, I still have to pump in order to get enough for 2 bottles a day and pumping has been very frustrating for me. Sometimes I barely get an oz. because she still eats so often. I'm going to start on fenugreek this week to hopefully get me going. I'll be pumping in my science storage room which I'll have to clean thoroughly and I'm hoping to get 2 sessions in while I'm there. But I'm so stressed about the pumping since I've been having such a hard time getting enough for the one bottle my hubby gives her every night (she eats 5-6 oz).

I wish you nothing but the best, I know it's harder for an elementary school teacher than a middle or high school since we tend to have more breaks. Just stay positive and don't be ashamed to ask others for assistance. You'd be surprised at the people who sign up to help you. Make sure to let your APs aware of your concerns and always remember that your baby comes first and what your doing is the best thing for baby!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Thanks sciencemom...blessings to you also. You arealready very blessed to be able to work part time.

Pumping was stressful for me also, even when I could pump enough, so I understand.

hope your school year goes well!

I am an elementary school special education teacher and had to go back to work when my lo was eight weeks old. It was soo hard for me to part with her (My goal is to be home by this time next year....)

I really was concerned about pumping and breastfeeding and didn't want to have to supplement at all... for me it worked out awesome. I drank 110 ounces of water a day and took part of my planning to pump. Once I got pumping down i would usually pump at 12:00. This was kind of my routine...

I got up at five thirty and would bf my baby. Then I'd get ready for work and bf again at six thirty... as much as she would do. I left to go to work by six forty-five. Then I would pump between 12 and 1 (usually for about twenty minutes) and then i would be home around four or four thirty most afternoons and nursed her the moment I got home.

It was hard at first, but you can do this.
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

I forget to say that I wasn't able to pump in my room because I did a self contained classroom. There was a storage closet in the hallway that books were in and I was able to go in there and lock the door. Look for a closet that you can go in. The custodians were wonderful with helping me with this. I was upfront with my male principal. I told him that pumping was a priority for me as working mom and that I was going to be pumping. We had early dismissal on Wednesdays and we would often have meetings. I let him know that there might be some days that I was late to those meetings becuase I would have to pump. He said it was fine. It was a little akward at first to be talking to him about it, but totally worth it!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

It is a bit frustrating to me not to have that 12-12:30 time slot. If I had that everyday, my life would be SOOO much easier. Good for you for being upfront with your admin. I wish that I had done that from the beginning. Honestly, sometimes I think it's easier talking to the males about bf than the females! Good luck with your school year! Hope you can be home by this time next year...I know how you feel. I'd love to be home next year, too. Maybe if I'm pregnant with #3!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    It is a bit frustrating to me not to have that 12-12:30 time slot. If I had that everyday, my life would be SOOO much easier. Good for you for being upfront with your admin. I wish that I had done that from the beginning. Honestly, sometimes I think it's easier talking to the males about bf than the females! Good luck with your school year! Hope you can be home by this time next year...I know how you feel. I'd love to be home next year, too. Maybe if I'm pregnant with #3!!!!!
    You know its been okay working with one.. I hate it, but bearable.. but hopefully I'll get pregnant soon with number 2 and by the time that lo comes there is no way. I don't see how moms do it! I love teaching.. but its a lot to teach and be a mom, wife, housecleaner... food source... etc. etc. Life is just so much more relaxed for me when I'm home.. thats one thing I love about the summers You know I bet there is some truth to it being easier to talk to males about it.. I know my admin was probably uncomfortable at times.. but I just wasn't willing to give that up.. I was blessed that my position was flexible enough where if I really needed to go and pump... I could.. I had two amazing assistants in my room.... I hope you get to be home when your pregant with number 3.. you must be superwoman to be working with 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovinmommy View Post
    I don't see how moms do it! I love teaching.. but its a lot to teach and be a mom, wife, housecleaner... food source... etc. etc. Life is just so much more relaxed for me when I'm home.. thats one thing I love about the summers
    I second this for sure!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I am a special ed teacher, but due to shuffling on our campus I will be teaching 1st grade in August. I went back in April when DD was 8 weeks old and didn't even give my admin an option of whether or not pumping would work. I walked in, told them where and when I needed to pump, and they said fine. I pumped before and after school, on my lunch and at 10:00 an aid came in a watched my class for 20 minutes. Once I get my schedule for this year I will do the same thing. Luckily no one has an issue with this and everyone on campus is pretty understanding. We had a baby boom at school, and so far every new mom has been a nursing mommy! Go Skyhawks!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Kerralyn - I'm stinkin' jealous! Good for you for standing strong.
    I can't do that in my situation because it's a private school - but you go girl! I hope you enjoy first grade. It's a TON of work and lots of energy required, but I love the age. I've taught first grade for 6 years this will be my 7th year.

To Lovinmommy - I'm not sure that I'm superwoman, you just do what you have to do...and I'm still on summer vacation so I'm not working with two yet. We'll see how I feel after I actually get started.

Teaching and mothering is quite a difficult combo. But at least we know we are helping make other children's lives better. And mostly we work mother's hours, so that helps. It's tough, but we make it work!

If I am so unlucky as to have to go back, this will be my eighth year teaching elementary school. My DD was born 2/28/08, and I went back on 4/22. Fortunately, my boss' wife was my sitter. This seemed to make things a bit more relaxed. I pumped 3x per day- 9, lunch, 2. 2 was during recess, and we alternate duties, so it worked out in the end. The problem was that the principal had to come watch my room every day due to the fact that our school is so small. I would be to the point of uncomfortable or leaking by the time I was able to pump some days- like when there was a fight, etc. I am dreading going back. I just can't figure out financially how we can swing it if I don't, and I can't figure out emotionally how I can swing it if I do. I cried every single day on the way to work after I dropped her off, and raced home hoping I would not get a ticked every afternoon. This year I have been assigned a 3/4 split, I have never taught 3rd grade, and I am looking at two planning periods a week. And alternating lunch duty. I am going to keep up the pumping schedule, I just don't know how. I have been looking for alternate employment, but have yet to find anything. I have even looked at minimum wage jobs in the area b/c when you subtract daycare and gas to drive 20 miles one way, I could make up the difference with a minimum wage job. Being in MI is not helping the unemployment rate is the worst in the nation, and being at a charter school is not helping either as there is no pay scale, and rarely raises. Why do I stay??? Well that would be because there aren't a whole lot of choices out there, and it is pretty hard to pack up a husband, 20 sheep, 5 goats, and now a baby and go to a metro area where there are jobs. Ok enough whining. The long and the short of it is that I don't want to leave my baby regardless. We have so many good days together, and I want to be the one to parent her. It just seems so unfair.