Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching and Breast feeding

Default Re: Teaching and Breast feeding

Dear lamluvr

I feel for you! We sound like we are in a similar situation. Amazing that your principal would cover the class everyday for you! I wouldn't be able to do that. I hope you can stay home if you would like to. At least with teaching we are impacting other children's lives. Hope you can make the best decision for your family.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    Kerralyn - I'm stinkin' jealous! Good for you for standing strong.
    I can't do that in my situation because it's a private school - but you go girl! I hope you enjoy first grade. It's a TON of work and lots of energy required, but I love the age. I've taught first grade for 6 years this will be my 7th year.

Teaching and mothering is quite a difficult combo. But at least we know we are helping make other children's lives better. And mostly we work mother's hours, so that helps. It's tough, but we make it work!
    I hope you can work everything out! I have been very lucky with my admin's response to both my pregancy and breastfeeding. One of the other "perks" of our job is the summer! I don't think I could have made it without having 2 months of nursing without pumping or bottles. I am looking forward to the challenge of 1st grade, but I have to admit I am a little nervous after being in jr. high!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

Yeah, summer is the best. I couldn't have made it bf without my summer vacation, also.

First grade is definitely different from jr. high. How many students will you have? The good thing about first graders is they enjoy hearing about your kids, especially your baby. Teaching, while difficult for bf, is more family friendly than some other jobs. Good luck with your year!

Right now my class list is at 18. I hope it stays that way! I did like jr. high, but they really lack motivation. I want to see the excitement the little guys have!
    EDD 6/21/10
    BF Madeline Grace since 2/5/2008
    Blake 9/23/00
    Cole 7/16/03
    Alex 9/19/04

[QUOTE=@llli*eelme.eelme1;544394]The good thing about first graders is they enjoy hearing about your kids, especially your baby. QUOTE]

4th graders enjoy this too.
    Actually I told my 3rd graders I was pregnant at the end of the 07 school year..I moved up to 4th grade w/ them. I had the baby in Oct., sent pics and brought her up there, went back in Jan. and she became the little mascot for my class. The wanted to see a pic. of the day
    Kids are so cute!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Kerralynn,
    From my experience, 18 is a great number. Not too overwhelming (esp w/ paperwork) but enough kids that everyone has a friend. I had 10 one year and it was one of my hardest classes - the kids couldn't get along.

You will find most first graders VERY enthusiastic and motivated. It's a great age! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    At least with teaching we are impacting other children's lives. Hope you can make the best decision for your family.
    This is the only thing that gets me through the days of teaching and leaving LO. I keep telling myself that I am helping other people's children. They are like my babies too...all 500+.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

[QUOTE=@llli*mommyto3;537384] It was not my favorite choice, but a tech guy walked in on me despite the note on my classroom door requesting that all visitors knock before entering.

I am a first time mom and will be leaving my LO in DC in 2 weeks. We are working on bottle feeding with ebm, since he has decided that he no longer wants to take a bottle. I will be starting the new school year in a new school teaching 6th gr. Math/Science and I am planning to pump at work. I never thought about any problems that I may run into and never thought about posting a note outside of my door. That's a great idea. I was just planning on pumping during my prep time, lunch, and after school and hoped that no one will bother me. AND, it never crossed my mind to tell my Principal that I will be late to our staff meetings due to pumping. Thanks for the tips!! I am surprised that a lot of admins or staff members don't support pumping or would give us mommies a hard time about it. I hope I don't run into this prob at my new school.

I applaud all mommy teachers who dedicate their lives to improving not only their children, but of others. I have been so lucky to have been with my lo since April of this year and will be sadly going back to work in 2 weeks. I praise all the mommies who had to leave their lo so early. I know I will be crying the moment I leave him to go to work.

Have a wonderful school year everyone!!

born ... 7lbs 3oz
    2 wks ... 7lbs 15 oz
    2 mos ... 11lbs 9oz
    4 mos ... and counting

THanks for all your support. This forum is the BEST!

It's so much easier to go through the difficulties with other mommies and teachers to talk with.

Have a great school year everyone!

i'll be going back to teaching in a few weeks. my lo is 8 months old and i'm nervous about if and when i'll be able to pump. i prviously had another job with more flexibility and then lost my job and had all or july off with him. i think the transition is going to be harder for me then him.