Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching and Breast feeding

Default Teaching and Breast feeding

Are there any teachers out there starting work in September? I'm looking for some encouragement, sympathy, empathy, etc!

I start teaching first grade in September and will have a 7 week old and a toddler at daycare. YIKES!

I'm stressing already. I'd love to hear how all you teachers are coping / will cope.

Also, interested in hearing pumping stories. I'm not sure I'll be able to pump for my lo this year.

Default Re: Teaching and Breast feeding

Hey there, just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that I can sympathize. I went back to a teaching contract when my first son was 6 weeks old.

I taught 7th grade and the kids changed rooms every hour or two, so pumping was a bit easier for me, I think. I am a science teacher and was able to pump in the science store room. It was not my favorite choice, but a tech guy walked in on me despite the note on my classroom door requesting that all visitors knock before entering.

I pumped when I arrived at school, during lunch, during my planning period and before I left because my baby was a good distance from me.

It was hard, but I was able to provide him at least 1/2 bm for quite a while.

I am sure the schedule of a 1st grade teacher will differ from mine. Are there breaks from the students during the day when you can grab 10 minutes to pump? Are there any other teachers in the building who will sympathize and help you out? Try to enlist the support of other staff as that will help a lot in getting you on a pumping schedule you can live with.

Good luck!!! I hope you have a great school year!
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I teach 4th grade and went back to work at 13 weeks pp this past Dec. It was really hard going back (should be easier for you at the beginning of the year)...I felt like I was drowning as this was my first year in 4th...

Anyways. I pump in the 4th grade storage room during conference time, lunch, and after school (I have to eat lunch on the go during duty). I've had the custodian walk in on my (partially) and another woman at the school walked fully in despite my warnings - she was clueless and then became really embarresed. I am able to pump all of DD's milk for the day and then some.

The only thing I can tell you is DD stopped nursing a couple weeks after I returned to work. She enjoyed the bottle and disliked the slowness of the breast.

Good luck and you can do it!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Thanks to Mommy3 and Alyssa mommy. Are you guys still teaching? Or are you at home with your kids now.

I'm in the process of deciding whether to ask to pump or not. I pumped with my first lo while teaching at the same school and it caused some issues...with the staff, admin., etc.

Anyway, at least I never had anyone walk in on me. That would be embarrassing! It's funny that teaching seems the least breast feeding friendly job and it should be the MOST supportive. Why is that?

Oh well...

I still teach...just off for the summer. I don't really care if the support is there or not, honestly (luckily the principal doesn't mind and the AP breastfed until hers were 9 mo. and stayed home with her kids). As for my team I just pretty much say, "I gotta go pump." I get to all meetings late b/c of pumping...people ask if I am supplying the drinks..
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

LO was born in March and I've been on maternity leave/ summer vakay since then. We start back August 14 and I'm trying now to decide if I'm going to try to pump at work or not. On one day, I can pump every three hours (starting at 5:30am at home), but on the opposite days I will have to go 5 1/2 hours from my 5:30am pump until I can pump at lunch. That sounds awfully uncomfortable!

Our building admin won't make special considerations for pumping moms, but I know with the number of babies we've had the last two years and how many of them were b/f that we had pumping moms all over the building. Most of them had discreet and easily accessible places to pump. Me, not so lucky. I'll probably be in a stall in the faculty restroom or in the handicap accessible restroom in the health room. So long to privacy, I guess!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fabmom View Post
    LO was born in March and I've been on maternity leave/ summer vakay since then. We start back August 14 and I'm trying now to decide if I'm going to try to pump at work or not. On one day, I can pump every three hours (starting at 5:30am at home), but on the opposite days I will have to go 5 1/2 hours from my 5:30am pump until I can pump at lunch. That sounds awfully uncomfortable!

Our building admin won't make special considerations for pumping moms, but I know with the number of babies we've had the last two years and how many of them were b/f that we had pumping moms all over the building. Most of them had discreet and easily accessible places to pump. Me, not so lucky. I'll probably be in a stall in the faculty restroom or in the handicap accessible restroom in the health room. So long to privacy, I guess!
    Could you ask one of your pumping colleagues to hook you up with one of "their" spaces?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Start compiling a backstock now!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I'm in the process of deciding whether to ask to pump or not. I pumped with my first lo while teaching at the same school and it caused some issues...with the staff, admin., etc.

Anyway, at least I never had anyone walk in on me. That would be embarrassing! It's funny that teaching seems the least breast feeding friendly job and it should be the MOST supportive. Why is that?

Oh well...
    I am sorry that with your first pumping experience it caused some issues! It is stressful enough to be away from your LO - trying to pump every free moment - get your work done - and then on top of everything deal with issues from co-workers. And you're right - our profession should be very BF friendly.

What are your concerns about asking to pump? That they won't be receptive to the idea? Finding a location / or the time? Having a support system at work?

If nothing else, hopefully you will feel supported here! There are lots of mommas here that know how you feel.
    -ing Mom to:
    Breanna 2/26/02 BF 2 months
    Bailey 9/19/05 BF 6 months
    Brayden 4/3/08 BF 4 months and counting

I love this site!!
    's to all the Mommies out there

To answer your ? bbbs-mom:
    I won't be given any additional time to pump beyond one prep a day (I've asked) and the preps are at different times every day. One day a week we have no preps. If I pump during my preps, I'll have to stay late or bring extra work home (or go in early) to get everything done...