Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning is hard

Default Weaning is hard

Is weaning suppose to be hard or am I doing something wrong?

I have gone one week without nursing dd2 for her morning nap. It is hard she either does not sleep, passes out eatting lunch, or whines herself to sleep in the swing. I am down to one feeding when she wakes, one for afternoon nap (losing that wed.), and then at night for bedtime and then about 2 feeding in the middle of the night.

Am i wrong for letting her whine to sleep in her swing. I want to just nurse her because it is easier, but it is time to wean.

Thanks for listening
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Weaning is hard

It does take awhile for a child to transition to a new way of going to sleep whether that be nursing down, being rocked, the swing, etc. Do you think she would whine less if she was getting physical contact from you? You don't have to nurse, but you could hold her on your lap or on your chest and walk or pat her back. Maybe she just wants to be close?

When we stopped nursing to sleep we actually started singing to sleep. He grew attached to that, and so we stuck with it.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Weaning can be easy if you're both on board and it's the right time for both of you.

In your case, it sounds like you're the one instigating the weaning, and that she's not quite ready for it. That's ok, but you need to prepare yourself that it might be a little more difficult for her since she's not quite ready to give it up.

To make things easier, I'd suggest that you work towards finding ways to get her down for her morning nap without nursing b4 you actually cut out the afternoon nap. Maybe you could try lying down with her and singing a song to her, or reading books, or even just lying quietly next to her. A routine will help, perhaps a snack and a drink, a couple of books, and then off to bed for a nap. A routine takes awhile to establish, but will help you immensely when you cut out the next nursing session, because you will have given her the tools to go to sleep in a different way than by nursing. It will make it much easier for you.

Also, if you want to just nurse her to sleep, that's ok too. You can take a more relaxed approach, and work on a nap routine, and work on weaning a little more slowly than you had originally planned. It's good to follow those mommy instincts, so whatever way you decide to go about this, it's ok. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Oh, and If you don't mind if I ask, how old is your baby? That info might help with suggestions too.

She is 11 months old. I know young, but dh is really pushing and the ped said it is okay to start weaning. She told me to take one nursing away a week until she is 12months.

I can not give her too much time because I have two other kids at home who get really jealous and disrupt most anything.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

You don't have to follow the ped's weaning recommendations unless you're feeling like you really HAVE to be done in a month. You can move slower and let her acclimate to the missed session for a bit longer, and it will probably go much better for you and her.

If it's been a week with the missed morning nap session, and she still hasn't acclimated, then I'd guess that she really does need more time b4 you eliminate another session. I'm guessing that it's actually taking more of your time and energy to not nurse her bcse she can't get to sleep for her nap, than it would be if you just nursed her down for her nap. That will only get worse if you eliminate another session b4 she figures out how to get to sleep without nursing.

I understand what its like to have other kids and a nursling. It can be rough to balance time amongst them all. Don't look at it like you can't give her too much time bcse you have other kids though, instead, look for ways to include your other kids in while you're giving time to her. All of her time doesn't have to be one on one time. You can put all the kids down for their naps together, and read them stories together and even lie down with them all on the same bed. My 5 year old has to have "quiet time" during his little brother and cousin's naptime. We read books, and do special things while the little ones are sleeping. You can also read books to all the kids snuggled up on the couch while nursing the youngest, or enlist all of their help in changing a diaper by having each one bring you something you need.

Instead of trying to take away from her to ease the jealousy in the others, I'd suggest you try to bring them in and make them a part of taking care of her and look for ways to bring the family together and do things together. Try playing silly games together, or singing crazy songs, or enlisting their help when you need to be spending more time with your littlest.