Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated

Default Constipated

I gave my LO 2 Tbsp. of rice cereal in the morning on Wed. of last week and I gave her some sweet potatoes in the evening. She has not gone poop since Wed. afternoon. I have not given her anything but BM since then. Should I be concerned or is it ok? Should I call the Pedi or get some baby laxitives? TIA
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Default Re: Constipated

My LO became very constipated when we first started solids. He could easily go a week or more without pooping in the beginning. I would say if she seems comfortable then it's probably fine. You can always give a call to your pedi to see what he suggests as well.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kadys-mom View Post
    I gave my LO 2 Tbsp. of rice cereal in the morning on Wed. of last week and I gave her some sweet potatoes in the evening. She has not gone poop since Wed. afternoon. I have not given her anything but BM since then. Should I be concerned or is it ok? Should I call the Pedi or get some baby laxitives? TIA

The longest we have gone is 4 or 5 days without poop. My theory is that those are periods when DD is having a growth spurt and so is digesting everything and not leaving much waste products to be pooped out. Then there are days when she poops every hour. If there are signs that LO is having a growth spurt it could be related to that.

I would watch for signs of discomfort. Drawing up legs, fussiness, or even smears in diaper but not full bowel movement. I'd say most babies get a little constipated when they start eating solids. as long as lo is not hurting then you should be okay. Whenever my lo has that problem I just take him off all solids and give him nothing but BM, that always helps. However I did quit giving him baby cereal. The Iron intake was too much. So we skipped that altogether. He just gets BM and babyfood, a couple times a day. Good luck!!

Loving wife of 3 yrs. to A.W.

& SAHM

to beautiful baby boy, Jack (12/5/07)

Born- 8lbs 4oz 20 inches
    2 months- 12lbs 13 3/4 oz 24 inches
    4 months- 15lbs 2 oz 26 inches
    6 months- 17 1/2 lbs 27 1/2 inches
    9 months- 19lbs 5 oz 28 inches
    12 months- 21 1/2 lbs 30 inches

Nursing 15 months now... YAY!!

If your little one is doing okay, not fussy or seems to be uncomfortable, BM will help her very soon. My boy was like that too, didn't poop for 5 days (normally he poops everyday and about 6 times a day: small poops) so I offered him BM and water a lot and then when it's time, he poops as normal again. I never want to use any medication on him.

I was worried about Katie whenever I first introducted solids to her. When we went in for her 6 month appointment, the nurse and doctor both said it is common for them sometimes not to have a poop and it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes they can go 5 to 8 days without a poop. It's normal because the body has to digest it differently.
    since Day 1, every day at work, every single night and still going strong.

Katherine Elizabeth born on January 7, 2008 at 11:39pm.

DD ended up going the next day. She went 6 days without going. She was at my MIL while I was at work and did it there, So I didn't have to deal with it. And then she went another 6 days. So I guess that this might be her new pattern.

Thanks!!
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kadys-mom View Post
    DD ended up going the next day. She went 6 days without going. She was at my MIL while I was at work and did it there, So I didn't have to deal with it. And then she went another 6 days. So I guess that this might be her new pattern.

Thanks!!
    DD (8 months) recently started to get constipated. At first we werent sure what it was because there were lots of times she didnt poop for 4 days. But she started to grunt and then cry. She seemed really unhappy for a full day, crying off and on and wanting mommy to hold her the whole time. Then finally she put out a 6 inch solid poop *ouch*. Immediately after she was totally happy.