Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping at work...

Default pumping at work...

So I'm starting a new job next week, I haven't worked in 3 years! Anyhow, baby's still breastfeeding, I'm going to have to pump at work. Any advise would be great.

Also I've been trying to pump to build up a stash in the freezer, but I just can't seem to get very much out. She's still nursing every 2 or three hours. Do I need to start pumping in between feedings to increase my supply?

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Default Re: pumping at work...

Can't offer any advice on the pumping at work, but in terms of building a stash, if I have to pump I do it right after her longest sleep stretch. DD wakes up, I feed her off of one side (the side that produces less), then I pump the more engorged other side and can get quite a bit out of it. If she's still hungry I'll offer her that side once I've pumped.

I know there are a ton of ways to work on increasing your supply but I'll let other mamas chime in...
    Last edited by @llli*kaitlyns.mom; July 11th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

for pumping at work go ahead and pack your pump bag with everytjhing you need, there was a thread recently that had tons of great detailed suggestions i'll find it and bump it for you, for building a stash have you tried pumping after lo is done feeding at around the same time every day maybe 2 times a day, also my lo sleep long stretches at night and i stay up 2 hours after he goes to bed to pump after the third night my body was making 4-6 ounces for this session alone....HTH

here it is
    Last edited by @llli*lidarln; July 11th, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks so much!
    Here's another question:

I only have one manual pump. (Avent) So I put it in the fridge in between pumping instead of having to wash it after every pump. I usually wash it every other day. So anyone know how long I could keep it in the fridge before washing it?

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

Thanks for the thread bump by the way, that was a lot of really usefull information. I think I need to take a trip to babies-r-us now.

charlotte-5
    violet-2
    me- again!

If your LO is sleeping through the night or for long stretches, then that's the best time to add in a pumping session and not worry about th evolume for a feeding. It's a hassle staying up later or getting up in the wee hours of the morning, but I usually get a good 5 or 6 ounces at that time.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkjugsmcgee View Post
    Thanks so much!
    Here's another question:

I only have one manual pump. (Avent) So I put it in the fridge in between pumping instead of having to wash it after every pump. I usually wash it every other day. So anyone know how long I could keep it in the fridge before washing it?
    i keep my pump setup (the horns and bottles) in the fridge at home 24 hours (it's exactly 24 hours really), then i wash by hand in really hot water and start again, i have a second setup i use at work that one stays setup for the duration of my work day but only in the fridge maybe 6 hours, i also wash that one by hand once daily in really hot water. once a week, usually on Friday or sunday night i wash all the pices by hand in hot water then run for a cycle in the dishwasher.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I found that I really didn't need a stash. I have one b/c I pump extra milk during the day but I have been donating all of it. The milk I pump the day before I give that for the day. Friday's milk I give Monday (or rotate it out over the weekend). Some mamas freeze fridays and use the oldest frozen milk for monday in order to keep the stash fresh. I started pumping in the mornings before returning to work when supply was the greatest. That is the only time I pumped before I went back to work. HTH
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.