Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storing ebm in a cooler?

Default Storing ebm in a cooler?

DH and I are taking our annual float trip.(we missed last year cause dd was ebf and wouldnt take a bottle at all) Well i was wanting to know. We are going to be using coolers for our food and drink.
    Heres my question.
    Can you store ebm in the cooler full of ice? How long will it stay good?I will have a small cooler just for this. So it wont be opened as much just to put the milk in and check the ice. We are leaving on the 25th floating the 26th and will return on the 27th in the afternoon.
    will it stay good that long in the cooler? Or should i just pump and dump? I hate to do the latter but if its gonna go to waste.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Default Re: Storing ebm in a cooler?

I would say as long as there is ice in there and the milk stays cold you'd be just fine. I would't dump unless you were worried that the milk was not kept cold. I've packed my milk for several hours with an ice pack..I know the milk was chilled the entire time...I did not dump it. (If it starts out frozen then that's a different story ask ice actually thaws the milk some) Hope that helps.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I will be pumping the whole weekend and the milk i put into the cooler will be fresh. How long can you keep fresh milk in the cooler?
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

I just read somewhere (I forget where!) that fresh EBM can be stored in a cooler with ice for 24 hours. That said, EBM can be stored in the fridge at 39 degrees for up to 8 days, so I wonder if you can keep it cold enough in a cooler if it could be stored longer?

I'm going to be away from LO for three days and am wondering the same thing about keeping my EBM or dumping it while I'm gone. I hate to pump and dump but am concerned about the milk getting too warm. My plan is to take a cooler and keep it topped with ice but to also keep a thermometer in there to monitor the temperature. (I have meat one that can go in the oven with the screen and alarm on the counter that will work in the cooler without having to open it.) If it stays at 39 degrees or below (the max temp for storing EBM in the fridge), then I'm keeping it!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Here is a link from kellymom about breastmilk storage ..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice!
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

Just an update...

I was in a dorm room with no access to a freezer from Thursday afternoon to Saturday mid-morning. I took a styrofoam cooler with me, a screw-top plastic container for the EBM, and a thermometer (the kind with the probe that goes in the oven with the display piece that is attached but outside of the oven). I put the container in the middle of the cooler and packed ice up to the top so that I could just unscrew the top to pour in the milk. I put in three bags of ice Thursday afternoon and another two bags Friday night (although I could've gone with one). I left the probe in the cooler so that it didn't touch ice and was measuring the air temperature at the top of the cooler. The air temperature stayed at 35 degrees or colder the entire time, and the milk temperature, which I checked each time I put in new EBM, was never above 32 degrees. It was colder in the cooler than it is in my fridge! Good thing, too, because I would've had to have dumped 60+ ounces, and that would've been a heartbreaker.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008