Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adding Freshly Ebm to Already Fridged/Frozen and Stored Bm

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Question Adding Freshly Ebm to Already Fridged/Frozen and Stored Bm

What are the guidelines for this? When I only get two ounces in one pumping session, I want to combine the freshly expressed milk with two ounces of milk that had previously been expressed, making a four ounce bottle. Typically, they're already in the fridge or freezer. What do I need to do when the ebm is already cold in the fridge? What about when it's already frozen? Can I put them in the same container or do they have to remain separate until they're warmed and consumed?

TIA
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Adding Freshly Ebm to Already Fridged/Frozen and Stored Bm

Here's an excerpt from the June, 2008 LLLI information sheet about storing human milk...

"Put only 60 to 120 ml (two to four ounces) of milk in the container—the
    amount your baby is likely to eat in a single feeding. This avoids waste.
    Small quantities are also easier to thaw. Many mothers who can express only a small amount of milk in one session add fresh milk to chilled or frozen milk that has been previously expressed, although this practice is questioned by some
    researchers. The fresh milk should be a smaller amount than what is
    already in the container, and cooled in the refrigerator for 30 to 60
    minutes before being added to the refrigerated or frozen milk that
    was expressed in a different session."
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Personally, I would hessitate adding more milk to frozen milk, but I don't have a problem adding it to refridgerated milk. Milk stays good in the fridge for up to 8 days (though I wouldn't wait 8 days to add to it) My rule of thumb is...if I pump it the same day, it can go in the same as already expressed milk. If I were planning on adding milk to a bag, I would leave it in the fridge and then add to it. Place it in the freezer if you're not going to use it soon. Also, make sure to write the date of the oldest milk in the bag.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

When it cools though, the milk fat sticks to the sides of the bottle and ds misses out on it. I don't want his legs to be less chunky! Even if I swirl it like I'm supposed to, it sticks to the bottle.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Hi ApronStrings! I find that running the EBM in bottle under warm running water or soaking the EBM filled bottle in a cup of warm water for a short time then gently swishing it around mixes the milk fat back into the milk prior to feeding. Hope this helps.

I just store the containers in the fridge until I'm ready to make up bottles / freezer bags at the end of the night and combine milk at that point. Granted, I have a ton of the Medela containers that I inherited from a friend, so I have that luxury.

The milk and fat do separate, but vigorous shaking seems to reincorporate the fat just fine for me.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fabmom View Post
    The milk and fat do separate, but vigorous shaking seems to reincorporate the fat just fine for me.
    IIRC you should swirl EBM, not shake it.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apron.strings View Post
    When I only get two ounces in one pumping session, I want to combine the freshly expressed milk with two ounces of milk that had previously been expressed, making a four ounce bottle.
    I do all the time in the fridge!!!! never had ANY problems
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!