Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay, need advice... What would YOU do?

Default Okay, need advice... What would YOU do?

Ladies... Here's my issue...

I am a relactating mom. My DS is 4 months old. I was just diagnosed with severe PPD and my doc perscribed Paxil (at my request as the reseach I did showed it to be the best for nursing moms). I asked the pharmacist if it was indeed safe to take while nursing and she said 'No and we recommend that a mother either not nurse or not take the meds as no anti-depressants are proven safe while BFing'. So I've spent the last few hours doing research and I've found NOTHING that says it's unsafe. In fact, Dr. Hale says it's the best choice for nursing mom's.

Would you continue your efforts in relactating? I have found nothing that says it's unsafe and I was really looking forward to being able to breastfeed...

Also, does anyone know if herbs are safe? I haven't found any info that states that fenugreek and the sorts are unsafe with Paxil. The only thing I found on herbs (and I googled every herb I'm taking) was 'Do not combine Paxil with herbs like St.John's Wort, Kava, Hop, or Ginseng'. I am taking More Milk Plus (which has fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, nettle leaf and fennel seed in it). Anyone know about that?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give. My family is not supportive and DH and I are concerned more for long term effects that might be there..

Anyways, here is the research I did find:
    http://www.storknet.com/news/paxil_breastfeeding.htm
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html

Default Re: Okay, need advice... What would YOU do?

I can't give you any expert advice or knowledge here, but I can tell you that my doctor (general practice) and my OB have told me Paxil is safe to take while breastfeeding. I suffered from severe depression in prior years, and was really afraid while I was pregnant that PPD would hit me hard after the baby came. While I haven't experienced depression again, I did do my research before my little one was born and everything I was told by several doctors, and everything I read in doing research reported Paxil to be safe for nursing moms.

I wish you all the best and hope that you are able to find the information you need in order to continue your special nursing relationship with your baby. I know how hard it is to struggle to do what you know is right for you and your little one in the face of opposition (or at the very least, no support) from friends and family. My heart goes out to you!

- Annie

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Default Re: Okay, need advice... What would YOU do?

Thanks Annie.

I think I am going to keep it up... I know it can be done and who knows, maybe once the meds start to really work, the milk will flow easier. I am super hard to relax right now and that could be a big part (that and my pump shields are too small, oops!).

Thanks.