Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush?

Default Thrush?

I'm not sure what a case of thrush on my nipples would feel like or look like. Can some breastfeeding moms who have had this please share? My baby is 8 weeks old and my nipples and a couple of millimeters of the areola are quite pink/reddish than the remaining areola and are tender when my bra is placed against them and even sometimes when I towel dry myself after a shower - they just feel "funny". There are no white spots on my nipples but I do get scabs/bleeding occassionally. I definately have Vasospasm of my R nipple that is very uncomfortable after my son feeds. The nipple turns white then red over and over. My son does have a whiteish strip down the middle of his tongue but this just looks like where the milk passes over his tongue. He does not have any other white intraoral areas that I can see. Maybe I should go see a lactation consultant. Thanks for any info I can get.

Default Re: Thrush?

Hi Mama,

Maybe this link will help and I know other will be around to help you more.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBthrush.html

is another helpful link

Hi there,
    Just responded to your other post RE: vasospasms. I dealt with thrush in the early days as well... DD had no symptoms. I had very bright pink nipples and stabbing pain when she nursed - it felt like her mouth was full of needles - and shooting pains throughout both breasts. The pain would continue, for the entire time between nursing sessions, to the point where even drying myself off with a towel or the water hitting my chest in the shower was enough to make me cry. I also had a couple of scabs that wouldn't heal.

Dr. put DD on nystatin and me on lotrimin (OTC) for a couple of weeks, no real improvement. (Both my OBGYN and DD's pediatrician were hesitant to even discuss thrush, for some odd reason.) Finally I broke down crying in front of an LC and she gave me the info on Dr. Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO), which ultimately saved me.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

wote 2 for apno....
    if your having cracks thoose can easily be caused by thrush.

Motherlove make a product called diaper rash and thrush which can be used as a nipple cream. There herbs used it help fight yeast infections and thrush. Not only is it very soothing, but healing as well. good luck.