Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PCOS Mom - Help Needed

Exclamation PCOS Mom - Help Needed

My friend posted for me a couple of days ago, and I posted a reply, but I'm doing a new one to see if anyone can offer any advice or support.

I have PCOS/insullin resistance and am producing very little milk. By very little I mean not even an ounce, just splatterings on the bottle when I pump. I am breast feeding with the SNS - it's a tube taped to your breast connected to a bottle for formula. I am also pumping anytime he's not on each breast for at least 15 minutes a time. My LO was getting sick in the hospital and that's why we started the supplement. He has been much better since then, but I desperately want to only breastfeed. Taping tubing to your breast and warming up milk takes the joy and convenience out of breastfeeding!

I have been on fenugreek (an herb) since Thursday the 3rd, and Reglan (a prescription) since this last Monday. While my breast are more tender and seem more full, I am not getting any more milk out than I was previously. I know that many of you posted and said that your friends with PCOS have had an oversupply, but that's not me. I have another friend who also had a lower supply (just not as low as mine). I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Default Re: PCOS Mom - Help Needed

You're working so hard! No wonder you're frustrated.

In addition to taking fenugreek and Reglan, have you considered any other gaglactogogues from this website?

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk.shtml
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

What type of pump do you have? When are you pumping? Are the cones the proper size for your breast? How old is your LO?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

We haven't tried anymore of the other herbs yet. I will probably try one of them next week. I have the Medela pump 'n style advanced. The last lactation consultant I spoke with said that I only need to pump if he doesn't feed on both sides for 15 minutes, so when I pump is variable. I have been trying to add in one or two extra pumps a day. My LO is two weeks old as of yesterday. I'm also not sure about the cone size - the consultant gave me the bigger size even though my breasts are pretty small, and they hurt when I pump - it pulls the nipple and aerola (spelling?) all the way in.

Pumping is a great way to beef up the supply. Have you seen inprovement in your supply with the extra pumping? Nursing the baby is always the best. Some woman get little or nothing from a pump but it is stimulation so it is a great way to help. Are you pumping after most feeding for a few minutes?
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Unhappy PCOS Mom & New problem

I have not been pumping after every feeding, but I will try that. I am actually quite perplexed right now - for the last 2 days my lo will not sleep during the day for more than 20 min. at a time, and then I have to put him on the breast for him to go to sleep. (That explains the no pumping for the last two days!) Any advice? He is 2 weeks old.

Oh yeh, what kind of cloth diapers do you recommend?

Hi there
    I found something that really works. Motherlove makes a product that helps increase milk for mothers with PCOS. It is called goats rue. There is another one that is a blend of goats rue and fenugreek called more milk special blend. The goats rue helps to increase mammary tissue whch usually does not develop very well when you have PCOS. I know you can find them online, www.motherlove.com. hope this helps!