Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long is ok to go withou eating?

Default how long is ok to go withou eating?

DD has to have a minor surgical procedure on wed for her foot. the pre-screener nurse called today and told me to stop feeding her at midnight. I laughed...this is an eb fed 2 month old who usually eats every 3 hours at night (every 2 during day). her procedure is at 8 am. That is 8 hours! She will cry the entire time I am sure. Is that to long for her considering she has only made it 4hours without 1 time?

She then told me in recovery they will be giving her water? DD has never had water. I thought she wasn't supposed to yet. If she drinks water won"t it fill her belly? then she won"t BF right away and go even longer without nutrients. I asked the nurse if she was familiar with ebf babies and she said no but these are the rules from the anastegiologists (sp?).

any advise?
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Default Re: how long is ok to go withou eating?

hmmm..... I don't think that would sit well with me either I get that they want her "empty" but that seems a little excessive. I don't know though, I have no experience with anything like that. Could you e-mail Dr. Newman or Dr. Sears and ask for some advice? I don't know how quick they are with responses though.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Ask who the anesthesiologist is and give him/her a call. Here's some information that may be helpful to your conversation. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html As far as the water after surgery, ask why (and keep asking it until you get a real answer. B/c it is policy isn't a real answer.) If needed, you can always refuse procedures for your lo. A hospital LC (especially an IBCLC) could also be a good resource as you navigate this. I hope the anesthesiologist is helpful!
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

Thanks so much. Good idea to get their LC involved. I will try emailing Dr. Sears too.
    13mos and counting

you might get to the hosptail and have a delay...

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/anesthesia.html

I would definately question this. At the pediatric hospital I work in we allow breastfeeding upto two hours before a procedure (4 hours before at the very most if it expected to be complex or involves the gut).
    Breastmilk is quickly processed through the body and I certainly think 8 hours is excessive for a two month old.
    Good luck!!

I would call and speak with the anesthesiologist. My LO was put under last Wednesday, and he wasn't allowed to have solids after midnight, but could have "clear fluids," which included breastmilk, up to 2hrs before the surgery. All Dr.'s rules probably vary slightly, but from what I understand, anesthesia on an empty tummy is safest! If anything, perhaps you could schedule the procedure earlier so it the time gap didn't seem so severe. Hope everything works out for you! I was allowed to be in the OR when they put him under. It was one of the hardest things ever, but I wanted my face to be the last and first face he saw!!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Thanks everyone. Spoke with the anast. today and he said he prefers 4 hours so she will be cut off at 3:30 am. We have to be at the hospital at 6 (an hour and half before procedure) I am just hoping that if she is having to much of a fit there maybe they will let her bf after I pump for comfort like the one article said. We will see though. I really want to be in the room when they put her asleep. I hope they will allow it. I don't see why they wouldn't. Wish us luck and if you are the praying type keep her in yours please. Thanks again.
    13mos and counting

Good luck!!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Just wanted to let you all know that her surgery went well, we are home already. She did alright this morning without eating. We were just so careful not to wake her until we had to so she wouldn't realize she was so hungry. Then they agreed to no water afterward once I was insistant. She woke up after her surgery and latched right on no problem and ate as though she was starved! Thank you all so much for your help!
    13mos and counting