Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need more for storage

Default Need more for storage

Hi,
    I had no idea where to post this question since it deals with milk supply, working, pumping, and storing, but here it goes.

I'm going back to work this August part-time only (Thank GOD) so my LO will need to have 2 bottles of BM until we get her going on solids which will be very soon (she's 5 1/2 months), but in the meantime I need help.

I use to be able to pump out 4-5 oz in the morning and about 2-3 at night which would be enough for a bottle and the start of another one. LO still wakes up around 3 am and then around 6 or 7 and goes back down. Well when she use to wake up, I would feed her off of one boob each time so that I would have a full one in the morning. Lately one is not enough for her. She wants both at each feeding and by the time I get to pump when I wake up I might, if I'm lucky get 2oz. We've been giving her a bottle every night since she was about 3 wks old and that's what I pump for. So now I need to store up some for day care and I'm barely able to get enough for the 1 bottle she takes a day. I know I have to increase the number of times I pump but I worry about her next feeding after pumping because she seems to get frustrated that I'm not letting down as quickly as usual. What other methods can I use to help my pumping output?

I'm also having issues with the amount we give her. According to her weight using the milk calculator she should be maxing about 4 onces. We give her about 5 1/2 - 6 and she seems to want more. My husband tries to slow her down and she's still on a slow flow nipple but she gets really mad and frustrated if we don't let her chug it. She seems to be getting enough throughout the day because she seems content after feedings, but maybe increasing my supply will help in some way. This also worries me since I'm not sure if that amount will be enough for her during the day when she's at day care.

I really need advice because I can't supplement w/formula since her reflux is still pretty bad and I'm worried about not having enough for day care.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Default Re: Need more for storage

I understand the fear of not having enough in the breast if you pump inbetween feedings to store up for going back to work. They always say, "There's always milk!", but there's not always enough for the letdown or volume that the LO is used to, IMO.

The only way to store up milk is to pump more. Can you add a night time pumping session until you go back to work? Yes, it will be exhausting. But, that may be the best time, while she's having a long stretch of sleep, to add in an extra session. Your body should respond with more milk in a couple days to help with the volume your LO is used to in the morning.

Not having gone back to work yet, and being an EP, that's the only practical suggestion I have. Maybe another woman on the bb will reply. Have you thought about contacting a LC or your local LLLI leader? They would probably have the best advice for you.

Best wishes storing up! I know it's stressful as I'm trying to get there myself for a weekend away from LO follwed by the start of school.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

I wish I had a good suggestion, but I wanted to let you know I am in EXACTLY the same boat. I have a 6 mo and am going back to work part time in a few weeks and desperate to build up a supply but it doesn't seem to be happening. I am pumping 8 - 10 times a day and only getting 1-2 oz besides the one bottle a day he gets now. (I have been drinking water to no end, vitamins, etc) It is super frustrating, but just know you're not the only one with this same issue. If I hear of anything helpful I'll post again.

I agree with all that fabmom said.

In addition, it might be helpful for both sciencemom and fin.s.mom to know that some babies "reverse cycle" when their mothers are gone during the day. That is, they decide to significantly reduce their caloric intake while away from their mother and instead significantly increase their intake when they are home with their mother. So, they nurse a lot more at night. That might be good news or it might be bad news,

In any case, I have not heard of a mother who was able to control when her baby reversed cycled or not. Maybe someone else here has a different experience.

I worked part-time with my first baby and set up a schedule where I worked four afternoons a week, Mon., Tues., Thurs., and Fri. I did that so I could still attend LLL meetings on Wednesdays, lol, but it also turned out to make it easier to maintain my supply since I was never away more than two days in a row. I also nursed at daycare when I dropped him off and when I picked him up. (An aside...as I write this I can picture it all so clearly, yet that "baby" is about to start his sophomore year in college...sigh...)

I decided to avoid pumping at work so that I could just *work* while I was there. I figured that reduced the time I was away from my baby, too. I pumped before I went to bed and when I woke and threw in another pumping session somewhere if the stash got low.

Some daycare providers really understand breastfeeding and the precious liquid gold that you pump. They will give your baby small amounts (just an ounce or two at a time) to help your milk last longer. And they will not feed your baby near the time you'll be picking him up, unless there is no other way to soothe him.

The lowmilksupply website might have some ideas you have not yet considered: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/increasingmilk.shtml
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. My husband and I have decided that I should stay home rather than worry about day care. I was barely going to be bringing much home working only part-time and paying for day care and gas. So, for right now I'm safe. I might have to get something during the evenings but I'm not too worried at this point. It's still very difficult for me to pump because she's barely giving me any stretch at night. We're usually up every 2-3 hrs. I thought she would be sleeping better once she hit 6 months, but not her, she's a party animal, which leaves me exhausted.
    I tried fenugreek but it was causing her to have green stools, gas, and fussiness. I guess I'll worry about it once I find a job.
    Thanks again ladies!
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

I'm glad you found a solution that works for your family!
    Marianne
    LLL Leader