Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not gaining well

Default not gaining well

My son is 8 months and 18 lbs. For the first 3 months of his life we had a great nursing relationship, no problems and lots of milk and weight gain. Around 3 months he started to get very very fussy at my breast and his weight gained slowed tremendously and it has been that way since. Yesterday at the doctors I was told he had lost 1oz this month. For about a week and a half I have been pumping, doing breast compressions and nursing on both sides (I was told when he was about 2 months or so by a lac con to only nurse on one side because I had too much milk and I needed to slow it down). Since Saturday I feel like my milk has come in much better, but I'm still nervous about the situation. I already had ordered domperidone and it's on it's way to me. Does anyone recommend I still take the domperidone or could it cause more problems for me if I think my supply is starting to increase without it?

Default Re: not gaining well

Was he sick recently? That might have caused the loss.

yes he had been sick, I figured that had to do with it, but I think it had slowly been decreasing for a while and him being sick just did it in.

It's upsetting to have your baby lose weight.

One thing to check on is whether he was weighed on the same scale each time. Some doctors have more than one scale in their office and the scales sometimes vary a little bit. Another thing to look at is what he was wearing when he was weighed--is it always the same? (Naked is definitely the easiest to copy each time!)

You said you are pumping. What are you doing with the milk? If you are giving your milk in a bottle sometimes, you can consider skimming the cream off the top and feeding that since it is the most calorie dense.

Is your son receiving any solid foods? If so, again, you can consider giving him the fatty hind milk (that is, skim the cream after letting pumped milk sit a while)--mixed in with pureed food or frozen (alone or with a puree) into a popsicle.

If this is not your first baby, consider checking the growth pattern on his sibling(s). And, can you find out the growth pattern for yourself and your baby's father? Perhaps one or both of you had a slow weight gain.

A baby losing weight is something to pay careful attention to. It can be due to benign things (like a weighing error (scale or clothing)) or it can be a sign of a problem. This is a good time to stay in close touch with your baby's doctor, ask lots of questions and consider getting another opinion if what your doctor says does not make sense to you. You might find this article interesting: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p8.html

Good for you for taking such good care of you precious baby.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thanks for the support. His pediatrician only has one scale (very small office) and he is always weighed naked.

I am trying to get him to drink the milk I am pumping in a cup (he won't drink from a bottle), but I am only able to get him to drink at most an ounce from the cup once in a while. I have been skimming the cream off the top and feeding it to him with a spoon, but he tends to just spit it out. I've been trying to mix it into foods he eats since he is eating a small amount of solid foods. I was breastfed as well and gained weight as a baby but I wasn't a big big baby. The reason I'm concerned is because he is such a fussy nurser and I am now attributing it to a decrease in my milk supply besides being highly distractible. Do you think I should still take the domperidone even though I feel my supply is increasing? I already have it in my possesion, but haven't started taking it yet.

Thanks for all the additional info!

I can't decide for you whether to take the domperidone or not. Things to consider are the benefits and risks, as you see them. I hope others mothers will chime in here with their experiences.

You mentioned that your baby is distractable. Have you had any luck with taking him into a dark, quiet room to nurse?

Sending you hugs
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*awinterofquiet View Post
    Do you think I should still take the domperidone even though I feel my supply is increasing? I already have it in my possesion, but haven't started taking it yet.
    If you feel your supply is good, I would NOT take the domperidone if I were you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMarianne View Post

You mentioned that your baby is distractable. Have you had any luck with taking him into a dark, quiet room to nurse?

Sending you hugs
    Since he was about 3 months old the only way I am able to get him to nurse is in my bedroom with the door shut and the blinds closed, laying down. If he's not tired then he will only stay on for a minute still. I'm assuming his high distractability is what has lead to my decrease in milk. I really don't even know for sure, I've been trying to find the cause to our problems for months to no avail.

Thank you so much for all of your support.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

this might help....
    How often would you say toddler is nursing in 24 hours.
    Does he sleep all night?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

this might help....
    How often would you say toddler is nursing in 24 hours.
    Does he sleep all night?
    Usually I will be able to get him to nurse pretty well 3 times a day with a tiny bit of snacking in between. For the past week since I have been able to increase my milk supply he nurses a lot more often. I feel I finally figured out what the problem was and it took me so long because it originated with too much milk so it was weird for me to come to the conclusion that my supply had decreased and that's why his nursing habits changed. Thanks for the article it was helpful. I think I have my problem figured out, if only I was able to nurse him someplace other than my bedroom. Is it common for a baby to be so distractible that they'll only nurse in one particular area? Any way to correct that?