Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ok, is there a trick to it?

Default Ok, is there a trick to it?

I am wanting to begin to wean DD, she just turned the big ONE, and I have introduced cows milk to her. The first couple of times, she spit it out, now she doesn't spit it out, but takes 1-2 sips and thats it. She does drink water out of her sippy. I can't get her to drink ebm/cows milk out of her sippy. When I am away at work, she takes a bottle from DH with ebm in it, he tries the sippy, but she won't take it. Is there a trick to getting her to accept the sippy cup with milk in it??
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Default Re: Ok, is there a trick to it?

SO she'll take water fine in the sippy? She may not be ready for a whole cup of milk quite yet.. it might take time or she might not like it... have you tried it warmed to different temps?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We have tried the milk temps warm, cold, and in between, she won't take it. I'm not so worried about getting her weaned right now, just getting her off the bottle and onto a sippy, then I think it would be easier for her to wean (getting her milk out of the sippy) Just to think, my problem used to be to get her to take her bottle
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Some kids just don't like cow's milk. My DD won't touch it, whether it's hot, warm, cold, or even chocolate! If your baby will eat yogurt and other dairy products, you can safely pass on cow's milk. However, that does leave you with the problem of what to put in her sippy/bottle while you're away. Perhaps soy milk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would not put any emphasis at all on getting her to use a sippy. I don't mean "just forget about it," I mean that at 1 year she's going to be testing boundaries and asserting her independence as much as possible, so I wouldn't make using a sippy an issue where she feels she can fight you.

Simply put a little water her sippy and offer it to her at mealtime, snacktime, when she's in the car or at the park, etc., etc. If she doesn't take it, put it away without responding at all. If you don't seem to think it's a big deal, she won't either

Another option is to skip the sippy altogether. Hayden never took a bottle, around 1 year he tried the sippys for a few weeks and didn't like them, and so we pretty much went straight to cups. We use straws and/or his special "airplane" Sigg water bottle when we want to control the mess, but otherwise we just give him a cup.
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.