Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weaning cold turkey

Default Re: Weaning cold turkey

Several people in my very large family have weaned cold turkey- but no-one has done it at less than a year so I don't know how relevant my info is. Weaning from 3-4 toddler feedings per day is a lot different from weaning a newborn. Anyway, the ones who weaned that way usually did it because they were "feeling done" or because of pregnancy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Weaning cold turkey

Well I know this is an old thread, but since it has come up and just in case anyone reads it looking for info I'll put in my 2 cents (or another 2 cents, which are maybe a little more valuable than the 2 I put in at the beginning of the thread).

I weaned cold turkey when my son was 9 months and it was horrible. I got painfully engorged despite frequent pumping, developed mastitis within 24 hours- fever, shakes, fatigue. I went on a crazy hormonal roller coaster with frequent bouts of uncontrollable tears and emotionally withdrew from my baby.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't forced to do it. And if you are forced to do it...just be prepared that it's going to be really really hard and feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous