Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning cold turkey

Default Re: Weaning cold turkey

I understand that many mothers here choose to wean gradually and with love.

But lots of mothers breastfeed their babes before coming to a LLL meeting and handle things differently with subsequent children when they have more support and information.

Not everyone in LLL, Leaders or members or just plain moms, does things "one way" with every child. Isn't that the LLL theme of the magazine, "New Beginnings"? That was what the founders meant anyway, every child is a new beginning.

For that reason, I thought there might be some moms who could chime in. I hope you will, if you read this post and thread! All experiences are valid and I am able to learn, whether it it the "ideal" or not.

Thanks for respecting my desire to learn and thanks to moms for replying!
    A woman’s life isn’t worth a plateful of cabbage if she hasn’t felt life stir under her heart.
    Taking a little one to nurse, watching him grow to manhood, that’s what love is.
    —Carol Shields. The Stone Diaries

Good luck with your learning

Loreta, thanks for the thoughtful post.
    Good idea, Frannie.Farmer about the search. I'll give that a try.
    A woman’s life isn’t worth a plateful of cabbage if she hasn’t felt life stir under her heart.
    Taking a little one to nurse, watching him grow to manhood, that’s what love is.
    —Carol Shields. The Stone Diaries

Haven't done it. I felt two months was too fast for my first... And the twins are weaning themselves ever so slowly. However, I have a friend that did it, unintentionally, I guess. Her son was 16 months old, nursing a few times a day. He bit her, and kept biting down, and it was quite traumatic for both parties to get it to stop. As a result, he would have no more of it. She thought she was about ready to be done, anyway, so she stopped offering. Voila, weaned.
    Another friend had her husband get up with her son one morning and offered him cows milk (at about 15 mos). He loved it. Weaned. He never asked again.
    I don't have more detail on either situation, as I haven't actually asked.
    I don't know if that helps at all.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I weaned my first child cold turkey when he was 5 mo. Not something I am proud of. He was having a really difficult time nursing and had allergies. He had taken a bottle and formula since birth as a second to the BM. One day I just had enough...couldn't take him crying and me trying and having to say "no" to all these foods I loved...I just quit. I fortunately did not get mastitis from weaning so abruptly, although I did get it earlier with DS. I do remember taking off my shirt and the milk actually spraying from me.

DD went through a similar hard time about the same age, but she has never taken a bottle, that probably helped me stick to BF the second time around. She is now 17 mo. and shows no signs of slowing.
    toni
    Mom to: Aylin born 1-30-07 & Zadock born 7-25-05 Mmmm...boy stew.

I guess I weaned my first gradually because she was having such a hard time latching on, I had no idea at the time that was what was causing the pain, and could not get anyone to help me figure it out. I started offering bottles from birth, more the hospital than me and continued at home as well as nursing. I nursed and when I couldn't handle it I would finish with FF. At one month I started pumping only but it was difficult and finally came to an end for us with EBM at 3 months. I never pumped or anything just stopped it all one day. I regreted it before I stopped but was in so much pain nursing and couldn't keep up with pumping. I never had any trouble at all,except the mental part. My second one nursed beautifully but my pedi pushed solids at four months, and again I was stupid enough not to know better.... She bite me six times in one day (at 10 months). I thought she was weaning but now I know that I had a low supply and she got pretty much nothing! So, I guess we weaned cold turkey. We never nursed again after that day... I tried but she would just bite me. Three days later I never offered again. She did stay on EBM until she was about 13 months or so. I didn't have any trouble as far as mastitis or anything else. She was very affectionate toward my breast for years after that. She would rub and stroke the top when going to sleep. To sum it all up... everytime I have learned more and done better. I have regretted every failed attempt and listening to my pedi about wean. Weaning is a parenting style (choice) not medical advise and I never followed my pedis advise this time and we are still nursing at 14 mo and didn't start soilds (child lead) until 9 months! I think most people only do it cold turkey under extreme situations. I hope I helped some, even though we never wanted to wean so early it just happened both times but it helped me to push harder everytime.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkofhumankindness View Post
    Why did you decided to do this?
    How old was your baby?
    What influenced your decision to wean cold turkey?
    Did you feel pressure to wean abruptly from anyone?
    Did you research your decision to do this prior to weaning?
    How did you feel about this, before, during and after the weaning?
    Did you get help during the weaning period from someone close to you?
    How did you little one respond to the weaning?
    My first child was weaned cold turkey, I am not ashamed of it, she was a year 1/2 and totally ready to be weaned.

I had no pressure to wean, I actually didnt even decide to do this. It was her choice, she went to her grandpas for the weekend, and when she came home she no longer wanted/needed to bf. Because she was a year and 1/2 and not feeding as much as a younger child, I have no ill side effects to weaning to quickly.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

I know this post is old, but perhaps someone else out there has the same question. I took B6 supplements to help get pregnant and inadvertently diminished my milk supply to the point that I had, essentially, weaned my 19 month old twins. We weren't ready and I was able to build my supply back up and we're happily nursing again. If you had to or wanted to stop nursing, you could try B6. I had started with 50 mg of B6 and bumped it up to 100 mg the subsequent month and then 200 mg the following month before I stopped using it. I have read that it may be wise to take it in the form of a B-Complex. Look into further if you're interested.
    Last edited by @llli*luvin.mama23; October 13th, 2010 at 11:08 AM.

Are you saying that B6 diminished your supply? Or that pregnancy did? I've never heard that about B6 before. That's interesting.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, the B6 dimished my supply. I didn't actually get pregnant so it was a double-whammy! The B6 helps to "correct" a hormonal imbalance and lenghten the luteal phase by supressing prolactin. I did lenghen my luteal phase and I ovulated on day 14 each month I was on it (tmi?--sorry )