Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning cold turkey

Question Weaning cold turkey

I know that pretty much all reputable breastfeeding resources, like LLLI, do not recommend cold turkey weaning, but gradual weaning instead.

But I am curious to know how it is for those mothers who have weaned their children cold turkey.

Why did you decided to do this?
    How old was your baby?
    What influenced your decision to wean cold turkey?
    Did you feel pressure to wean abruptly from anyone?
    Did you research your decision to do this prior to weaning?
    How did you feel about this, before, during and after the weaning?
    Did you get help during the weaning period from someone close to you?
    How did you little one respond to the weaning?

I hope to get a variety of responses. I know this is kind of a "taboo" subject in some breastfeeding circles, and I remain very respectful of all weaning decisions.

I hope some mothers will share about this kind of weaning experience so I can gain more of an understanding of this type of weaning from mothers who have btdt.

My sis-in-law is going through this right now, and I really want to understand more about this. It's something I don't feel comfortable talking about with her.

Thanks! Feel free to PM if you are shy.
    A woman’s life isn’t worth a plateful of cabbage if she hasn’t felt life stir under her heart.
    Taking a little one to nurse, watching him grow to manhood, that’s what love is.
    —Carol Shields. The Stone Diaries

Default Re: Weaning cold turkey

I don't have experience with this, but depending on how much baby is nursing, it could be a health risk for mama! Please ask your sister to watch carefully for plugged ducts, engorgement, and mastitis.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

moose, thanks for you response and your concern for my sis-in-law. However, she has already made her decision and what I am looking for is mothers to share with me about their similar weaning experiences.

What do some mother consider to be the reasons for and benefits of weaning "cold turkey"/abruptly?

I'd really like to hear from other mothers. I do not wish to debate appropriate ways to wean, as I know the Leaders here will insert LLL philosophy when needed anyway.

I am wanting to learn about your experiences, please. PM if that works better.
    A woman’s life isn’t worth a plateful of cabbage if she hasn’t felt life stir under her heart.
    Taking a little one to nurse, watching him grow to manhood, that’s what love is.

Why can't you just ask your sister-in-law. If she sees nothing wrong with weaning abruptly then she shouldn't be sensitive talking about it.

I can talk to my SIL. I don't feel comfortable. Besides, that's not the point, now is it?

The point of my posting these series of questions is to understand more about how a wide variety of mothers feel about it. So, if you have something to share to the point, please do!

Hmm. Maybe there aren't any mothers who are willing to share or perhaps no one has weaned cold turkey on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkofhumankindness View Post
    I can talk to my SIL. I don't feel comfortable. Besides, that's not the point, now is it?

The point of my posting these series of questions is to understand more about how a wide variety of mothers feel about it. So, if you have something to share to the point, please do!

Hmm. Maybe there aren't any mothers who are willing to share or perhaps no one has weaned cold turkey on this forum?
    perhaps if you weren't so snippy with those moms who took the time to post, you might get some more responses.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

To be honest, bcse weaning cold turkey is potentially a health risk for the mother and painful for the child, I'm not sure you'll find many ladies here on the forums who have chosen to do so. Not that they wouldn't be welcome, because they are, but because most of the ladies here are looking for answers on how to either continue to breastfeed, support other breastfeeding moms, or how to wean, but usually more gentle weaning methods are what's suggested.

If there are any, I'd guess that it was for medical reasons due to medication, as I remember seeing several posts where ladies were asking for help in weaning due to chemo drugs or other drugs that were completely incompatible with breastfeeding but needed immediately.

You could try to search for a thread with the key words weaning, and medication, or abrupt weaning, and see if that didn't bring up some of those older threads.

Honestly though, I'm not sure you'll find many others who've weaned abruptly around...I just haven't seen alot of ladies around who decided to do that because it's just not good for mother or baby.

^^ Yup, what she said. ^^

Consider your audience, there just aren't going to be very many women here who've done what you're asking about. You also may want to consider that any posts in here, whether they address your point or not, are bumping your thread to the top of the list and increasing the chances that someone who has experienced what you are asking about will actually see it.
    Last edited by @llli*norasmommy; July 11th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DH's cousin weaned her LO cold turkey. She got mastitis and was in the worst pain of her life. She said if she could, she would have cut her own breast off -- that's how much pain she was in.

ETA: I think she weaned cold turkey when her LO was 11 months from pressure from her DH. That's the impression I got. Her LO is almost 2 and she told me she is still very interested in her breasts and trying to get into her shirt.
    Last edited by @llli*sebsmommy; July 11th, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    perhaps if you weren't so snippy with those moms who took the time to post, you might get some more responses.
    E-mail is hard to show the tone. To clarify, I didn't mean to be rude, just direct. I asked some specific questions, and although it's nice folks want to offer what they want to offer, in order for me to get what I am seeking, I need to be direct about what it is I am after and keep the thread I started on track. Otherwise, I won't get what I am after.

Hope no one is offended