Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: output crash

Default output crash

All of a sudden I can't get anything when I pump, I'm talking last week 4-6 ozed per time and now barely ONE OZ!!!! I am distraught at this. LO is 9 months old and seems fine when he's with me but I don't know what do do about when he's at daycare.

I have tried more water, mother's milk tea and oatmeal. Do I just suppliment? Is this normal at this age? Please help me!!!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Default Re: output crash

Some standard questions that get asked when this happens are:

Have you started any medications or birth control pills?
    Is it possible that you're pregnant?
    Have you checked your pump? Are all the pieces intact? Any hairline cracks?

If all that checks out ok, then you could try Fenugreek (3 capsules three times a day) to help spur production. You might also contact a LC or your local LLLI leader.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

what about AF is it that time, or about a few days to a week prior???
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I experienced the same thing, at around 9 months, and it wasn't my period (and definitely not pregnancy ). I took fenugreek, ate oatmeal, pumped on one side while I nursed on the other, etc, and nothing worked. I don't know what caused it. I don't have advice, but I wanted you to know you're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    I experienced the same thing, at around 9 months, and it wasn't my period (and definitely not pregnancy ). I took fenugreek, ate oatmeal, pumped on one side while I nursed on the other, etc, and nothing worked. I don't know what caused it. I don't have advice, but I wanted you to know you're not alone.
    Thanks, what did you end up doing?

I haven't started AF yet and I am not pregnant (I hope). No meds or anything different. The only thing different is I'm eating slightly less (Weight Watchers) but that's only been one day so far?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

It actually sounds like you're not having a let down. At least that's what it sounds like to me...Do you feel a letdown? How long has it been going on? Was it a sudden or gradual decrease? There are tips on how to help with a letdown. Let us know if you want them.

FWIW, I have found that when I eat juicy fruits, like oranges, my supply goes up. Eating lots of veggies (I eat lots of veggie subs) also helps my output.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

PMed you

Could it be that you're about to have a period?

The pump idea is good too--that would make a huge difference.

I you all! Yes I'd love let down tips!!! I will also replace all membranes tonight.

If it is my period, does that usually mean a temp. dip and it goes back to normal?

It's weird b/c it happened all of a sudden-over the span of like one day!
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

that's what happened to me before my first period return, i freaked for like 3-4 days then all the sudden i started and everything was back to normal, during those days, i did all of the following:

ate more
    ate oatmeal
    drank more water
    changed out all my pump parts one by one
    experimented with different breastsheilds (larger ones, soft ones, 2 different sizes, etc)
    and tried all the let down tricks like massaging before pumping, running my nails over my breasts towards my nipples, and more i can't even remember right now
    oh and breast compressions!

i figured i was done, then it just bounced back, that was the only period i've had so no clue if it' always like that oh and i was 4 months pp fwiw
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Just before my first postpartum period I had a really big drop in supply, but it rebounded within a few days. After that, every month I noticed a drop, but not nearly as big as the first time. I just did what PP said; pushed oatmeal, ate lactation cookies (lol the name cracks me up), took fenugreek.