Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting with cereal

Default starting with cereal

hi everyone, my little one will be 6 months in 3 weeks, so i'm looking at starting on solids ... i have a really silly question ... he's been exclusively breastfed so far, so if i start him on rice cereal in the evenings, do i start on the 0-3 / 3-5 or 6 month cereal, seeing that he's starting from scratch???

Default Re: starting with cereal

i used the single grain rice cereal with nothing added to it. i used about 1 tablespoon mixed with BM to a watery consistancy.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Are you talking about how to mix the servings? Bcse here in our area, there is only one type of baby rice cereal, and you just mix it to the consistency that's right for your particular child by varying the amount of liquid you add. So in that case, if you want to start with rice cereal, I'd suggest you just mix a little with breastmilk, or even water, and since baby is 6 mos., you could make it a little thicker, but smooth, more like jarred pureed baby food instead of runny/watery. Try adding liquid a bit at a time until you get a smooth consistency and try it.

That being said though, you don't have to start with rice cereal. There isn't really a medical reason why that needs to be baby's first food if you wait until 6 mos. to start solids, Unless your doctor is concerned that your lo is iron deficient, or vitamin D deficient and wants you to try the cereal first bcse it's vitamin fortified.

You could easily start solids by mashing a ripe banana and trying that first. Ripe banana mashes up smooth and tastes much better than the jarred banana. If you want to do the pureed baby foods, you could try almost any of the 1st fruits and veggies first. If you want to make your own baby food, you can cook and mash the food yourself. There really isn't a right or wrong way to start solids.

Just be sure to try just one food at a time for several days. It might even be like 5 days you're supposed to wait between new foods, I can't remember for sure. And stay away from the main allergenic foods until baby is older.

I've also read a lot about not having to start with cereal, will speak to my pead ...

thank you very much ...