13 61.90%
  • yes, and we do not nightnurse

0 0%
  • no, and we do not nightnurse

1 4.76%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who has 'caries'??

Default Re: who has 'caries'??

He said I should definitely get them checked out & agreed that that's what they looked like. They don't really seem to hurt him. I'm not sure if cavities always hurt as I've never had one.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I've had cavities. MIne have never hurt. They see them on the xray and fix 'em up.

And from what I understand they'll only hurt when they get to certain point and beyound. KWIM? If they're on the surface of the tooth, there's nothing to 'irritate' the root, therefore nothing to say "hey theres something wrong here". Maybe like a frist degree burn, as opposed to 2nd and third? But that might be a poor analogy.

Ill ask my brother this weekend when I see him, what his take on kids and cavities (and pain) is. Keep in mind, kids complain a lot later than an older child or adult would... they simply assimilate all their feelings into 'normal' and complain at a later phase...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

i noticed my lo's 2 front teeth had bright white lines at the very top....his teeth werent even all the way in.....dh thought it was 'new tooth growth' and the pediatrician told me not to worry....but i wanted to get them checked...

he was absolutely impossible the first time....he sat on my lap and screamed....but a crying mouth is an open mouth! the dentist said all 4 front teeth had the start of cavities....i cried and cried.....felt awful....we had always brushed 2x per day, plus the wet washcloth before the teeth came....we went back in about a month (after daily flouride treatments) and he had 2 more on his back teeth, but the dentist said the front teeth (the whitest parts now brown ) looked great and the decay was not progressing
    i can see his molars getting worse....looks like theres some raisin stuck in there.... we go back on the 29th....i dont know what the heck id do if he had to go under general anesthesia to have them fixed

for those whos lo had surgery...what led up to it??

btw, the pedi dentist was very happy to see him so young, he said most people dont bring kids till 3 (especially since alot of pedis recommend that) but he would much rather see them at 12 months first.....and, if you have dental insurance its covered....wouldnt hurt anything, and it gets them used to going too....last time we went he had a tv on the ceiling above the chair...they give them toothbrushes and really are understanding the child may be scared...

Hmmm......do I need to take him to a kids Dentist or can he see mine?

Way too lazy for formula

I voted no and no, but we did nightnurse up until about 21 mos.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Wow. The advice re dentist visits is really different in the UK.
    We are advised to start taking babies to the dentist as soon as the first tooth appears. Well actually, mine have been even before then, as we have a family check up every 6 months, and our dentist has always included the children even before they had teeth. Obviously she doesn't actually, do anything at that stage, just look in their mouths, but I think it's helped them get used to the idea and they certainly aren't afraid of dentist visits.
    I think the sooner you start the better.

You in the UK probably don't have fluoride pumped into your drinking water. Since it's poison and all. Here it's less of an issue because almost all the drinking water has fluoride in it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    You in the UK probably don't have fluoride pumped into your drinking water. Since it's poison and all. Here it's less of an issue because almost all the drinking water has fluoride in it.
    Drinking water here has been flouridated for ages. I vaguely remember it being started in our area when I was a child, so that must be well over 30 years ago.
    Though actually, much to my suprise, you're right that it is not as common as I thought - I just looked it up. Both the area i grew up in, and where i live now have flouride in the water, so i assumed everywhere does, but it seems not - only 10% of UK water. I must have just got lucky (or not, depending on your viewpoint I guess!)
    Last edited by @llli*wadingbird; July 10th, 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Hmmm......do I need to take him to a kids Dentist or can he see mine?
    *I* would find a pediatric dentist. You could always call yours and ask if he's comfortable working with children.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Excellent point DJ's mom -- how do you know... I am curious too. Those who said no, is it because you think your babe does not have cavities or is it confirmed that they do not. KWIM?

Yes, my babe is younger than yours I think DJ is at least 6 mo. older or more. My babe's bd is 6/8/06.

Regular dentists, yes, say they want to see kids around 3 - that's because they are easier to work with at that point and can understand directions etc. and can be talked through stuff more... or could be given some other options like laughing gas I think, maybe to help it go a little better.

Pediatric dentists are specially trained and signed up for dealing with the littlest babes - although they also see others. They also tend to have more kid friendly tools and decorations, etc. Some in this camp recommend that babies go to the dentist within a few months of the first tooth erupting to make sure you are on track and there are no issues.

How we went about going to the ped. dentist was our babe chipped his tooth. First it was tiny, like the size of a dot if you made a dot with a pen on a piece of paper. That happened when he was like 10-11 months. We didn't stress. Then at his 1 yr. appt, his ped. recommended we might want to get it checked out with a ped. dentist. He provided 2 options - one guy referred to as "also good" was really close to our house. The other, lady, was who his kids saw and referred to as "excellent". We chose also good since he was a little closer. He was an %ss - rude, treated ds like a dog, and condescending to us and a jerk to me since I was STILL nursing. He found the first 2 cavitied. There was a little more to it I think I posted about it a while ago. Of course we did not go back to him.

We then went to "excellent" and she is - she confirmed the cavities (by looking, there were big dark spots on the back side of his front top 2 teeth). She encouraged nightweaning and switching the bedtime routine but also said she was a proponent of bf and recognized we needed to do the best thing for our family however, she wanted to encourage us to consider the options. We first saw her at about 13 months, were in denial for a long time, tried cod liver oil and other "remedies" to no avail.

At about 19 months we were ready to decide and then it took a while to get an open surgery date. His surgery was at 24 months, and now, at 25 months we are beginning to nightwean and considering to switch up the bedtime routine to have brusing after nursing.

Cavities can hurt if left unattended for a long time such that they hit the nerve, etc. by the time it gets to that point, there are fewer options for treatment and this could mean that the teeth affected may have to be pulled. Not cool, but sometimes necessary to preserve oral health.

So to all those considering going to the ped. dentist, I think it's a good move because it will alert you to any possible problems or reassure you that there are none. However, keep in mind these folks come in all flavors just like peds. we've all heard of the great ones and the jerks who are uninformed about the benefits of bf, etc. However, I think all of us here are strong enough and smart enough to combat idiots... If your first ped. dentist is a jerk, get a second opinion or search out a new one.

HTH