13 61.90%
  • yes, and we do not nightnurse

0 0%
  • no, and we do not nightnurse

1 4.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who has 'caries'??

Default Re: who has 'caries'??

Night nursing does not cause cavities. DD is 24 months, nurses constantly at night, and has no cavities (confirmed by a pediatric dentist). PLEASE read this site: www.curetoothdecay.com

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leila View Post
    Night nursing does not cause cavities. DD is 24 months, nurses constantly at night, and has no cavities (confirmed by a pediatric dentist). PLEASE read this site: www.curetoothdecay.com
    have you read the book?? what are the foods most important to eat?

im not saying night nursing causes the cavities....but the general opinion around here is that 'bottlemouth' is a neglectful thing that happens to babies put to sleep with juice or chocolate milk..... i think this idea has morphed into bfing as well
    most times i read about caries and dentists, the word nightweaning comes up...i really was comfortable with our pedi dentist (luckily the 1st one) but i didnt really give him an option for a lecture on the subject....i told him flat out, we are still nursing and we are not weaning any time soon....end of subject.....now, i had to cringe and feel that little bit of embarrasment when i heard the tech in the hallway talk about the kid who still nurses like it was some shameful awful thing, but when it all comes down to it, i feel basically like screw her....
    ive read all of the info (not recently) and it just seems odd to me...if the medical profession in general is so ignorant on the subject, where and who are they getting thier numbers from?? seems to me if every single bfing duo could check in the numbers would be a bit more realistic you know?
    and, i just wanted to add, that even with things ive read, i STILL felt guilty like its totally all my fault...if not from lack of brushing, then from what?
    Last edited by @llli*bless.bee; July 10th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

It must depend where you live and your dentist as far as ages go. In Houston Texas we are advised to see the dentist every 6 months starting somewhere between 6 months to a year for the first visit. As one pp stated there isn't much to do, get them use to it, check teeth developement and give advise on when to start brushing. My pedi dentist says start by wiping gums and if there are teeth. My one yr old brushes once daily, night nurses(which the dentist hates), and has no cavities. From what I remember(I am getting old so give me a break if I am way off here) dental stuff is genetic; if you have cavities it is more likely kiddos will too! Depending when you or hubby got teeth determines when they do etc....
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smidgin View Post
    It started as a discoloration on DS's teeth. One day I decided to run my fingernail across them & the are pitted. It's at the very top where the teeth meet the gums on his front 2 top teeth. On the 2 next to the front it's still just a discoloration, but more at the bottom of the teeth.
    I just wanted to let you know that Ben has the exact same thing on two of his front teeth, that started maybe after a year? I did take him to the dentist, and they are NOT cavities, so you might want to get them checked. He said it is more of a 'cosmetic' issue, but it should go away when his permanent teeth come in, but if not, they can make them look nice with a little $$$

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I just wanted to let you know that Ben has the exact same thing on two of his front teeth, that started maybe after a year? I did take him to the dentist, and they are NOT cavities, so you might want to get them checked. He said it is more of a 'cosmetic' issue, but it should go away when his permanent teeth come in, but if not, they can make them look nice with a little $$$
    That would awesome if they aren't, but the fact that I can feel them is what makes me think they are. If it's strictly cosmetic then I won't get them fixed, especially since they aren't very noticable unless you are looking.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bless.bee View Post
    have you read the book?? what are the foods most important to eat?

im not saying night nursing causes the cavities....but the general opinion around here is that 'bottlemouth' is a neglectful thing that happens to babies put to sleep with juice or chocolate milk..... i think this idea has morphed into bfing as well
    most times i read about caries and dentists, the word nightweaning comes up...i really was comfortable with our pedi dentist (luckily the 1st one) but i didnt really give him an option for a lecture on the subject....i told him flat out, we are still nursing and we are not weaning any time soon....end of subject.....now, i had to cringe and feel that little bit of embarrasment when i heard the tech in the hallway talk about the kid who still nurses like it was some shameful awful thing, but when it all comes down to it, i feel basically like screw her....
    ive read all of the info (not recently) and it just seems odd to me...if the medical profession in general is so ignorant on the subject, where and who are they getting thier numbers from?? seems to me if every single bfing duo could check in the numbers would be a bit more realistic you know?
    and, i just wanted to add, that even with things ive read, i STILL felt guilty like its totally all my fault...if not from lack of brushing, then from what?
    I am reading it right now. I haven't gotten to the specific food recommendations yet, but I know from other similar information that cod liver oil and butter oil are important supplements for someone with dental issues. Fat-soluble vitamins are the main things that are generally lacking from our diets that is causing degeneration in our health (dental & otherwise). The condition of the teeth is an indicator of overall health. It is not your fault for lack of brushing. If cavities are caused by lack of brushing, then why do older people (who tend to brush & floss more often) still get them? Dental caries are basically like osteoporosis of the teeth. Critical nutrients are leached out of the teeth when they are needed by more important areas of the body, like the heart and brain. When that happens, the enamel weakens and the decay starts to set in. This will continue until the leaching is stopped, when the necessary nutrients are being supplied and the body's stores are replenished. I hope this helps. It's late and I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Ds1 night nursed for 19 months and no cavities..he has been to the dentist

DS2 night nurses sometimes still at 27 months and no cavities...he has been to the dentist.

As far as when to start, I think the ADA recommends 1 year. I take mine to my dentist. We only have one pediatric dentist and I haven't heard great things about them. I think when they are so young they pick up on your vibe and react accordingly. I am very comfortable with my dentist and he and his staff have an accepting attitude toward kids.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I really don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question in the same category...

I always heard I was to start brushing DD's teeth/gums when she got a tooth...She is 9.5MO now and still no teeth, but at her last doc appt, the nurse said I should be wiping her gums with a cloth. I had no idea, and since have been cleaning her teeth with a gum cleaner and baby tooth paste, but wondering how bad it is that I've waited that long (nine months) without wiping her gums every day Just one more thing to worry about I guess...

ETA: the recommendation I read is to take baby to dentist within a certain time of their first tooth (can't remember how long) or by the first year.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    wondering how bad it is that I've waited that long (nine months) without wiping her gums every day Just one more thing to worry about I guess...

its starting to seem to me alittle bit like your damned if you do...damned if you dont kind of thing.....we always wiped his gums....didnt do anything for him....i also used xylitol which is a natural sugar that inhibits placque....sometimes i wonder if i didnt screw things up by using it....but all the studies say its great for lo's teeth....ive also wondered about oragel....i used that like crazy for him....i dont have any in the house now, but im wondering if it has sugar in it? i looked for some the other day because he is in so much pain w/ his molars right now....but now im second guessing using it!

as far as genetics, my dad had really bad teeth....i remember him using sensodine and being super sensitive to hot/cold....now at 50 he has full dentures......i have mega cavities/fillings, but i always attributed that to eating nothing but crap and soda when i was little and never brushing my teeth at night (i can remember faking brushing ) my 5 yr old stepdaughter has no cavities....we do nothing diff with her (and actually i highly doubt she even brushes at her weekend visits with her mom) i know some people say genetics have nothing to do with it....but i have 3 things...
    genetics....brushing....night nursing....

One of my close friends has a four yo dd that has 8 or 9 cavities. My friend is the healthiest eater I know (besides me, of course) and her daughter very very rarely drinks juice, they don't have candy, brush 3 x a day, only all natural or organic foods at there house, hardly ever have sugar...

Their dentist has assured her, it was nothing she did or didn't do, both her and her husband have cavities and a great amount of dental work.

I didn't have my first cavity until I was in my 20s, my husband only has one, and neither one of our kids has a cavity (but they are only 2 and 4 yo). They both night nursed until about a year.