Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone heard of this?

Default Has anyone heard of this?

I was at the grocery store last night and saw this by the formula section. It's called Dr. Visser's Toddler Health and it's a formula for 13 mo to 5 years according to the packaging.

I read the ingredient list and it seems to be OK. Rice based. Non GMO. Natural sweeteners.

What do all you other moms think of this product?

I'm wondering about using it as a sometime beverage NOT to replace nursing AT ALL! And not anytime soon.

My DS is 7mo but I plan on nursing as long as he wants.

Thanks moms! I rely on our collective wisdom!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Has anyone heard of this?

i have never heard of it. Try looking it up online and see if there are reviews or studies on its use. Would you use that in place of cows milk???

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Personally, if you plan on nursing your lo into toddlerhood and beyond, then I'd say its completely unnecessary. Breastmilk is always be superior to any formula.

As long as you're still breastfeeding, I would think it would be more beneficial to work on having lo learn to eat a wide variety of healthy foods, including all the veggies and lots of fruits and such. Vitamins and minerals are absorbed much easier by the body when they're contained naturally within the food, instead of being added to food, like with formula or baby rice cereal.

I'd also be concerned about the amount of sugar and carbs in the toddler formula...not so much if you looked at it by itself, but when you take into account all the real foods your child would be eating in addition to the toddler formula. In that sense, the toddler formula sounds like alot of additional sugars, iykwim.

Now for a child that wouldn't eat, or was weaning and wouldn't eat a wide enough variety of solids at a certain point, then it would make more sense to me. But again, its just IMO, I'm sure people out there use it and love it too.

It is my understanding that as long as lo is healthy and thriving, this is unnecessary. Enfamil and Similac are making toddler formulas now, too. I would think as long as lo is eating a healthy diet and not underweight or otherwise having health issues, this formula is totally a waste of money. I, too, would be concerned about sugar and other additives.

I think toddler formula is mostly just a marketing gimmick to get parents to buy more product. People will see "toddler formula" on the label and assume that their babies need this special product. They'll think that if toddlers didn't need it, why would the company make it? Well, formula companies are not in the business for altruistic reasons. They are out there trying to make money, just like any other company, and sometimes making money means using marketing to create a "need" for something that isn't really necessary.

If you're not planning on replacing any nursing sessions with formula bottles, then I think you can safely pass on the toddler formula. In fact, I think that you should: I read recently that all formula cans contain BPA which can leach into the formula. Yuck!!! Leave the toddler formula on the shelf, and use the money you save to buy some organic whole milk!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think toddler formula is mostly just a marketing gimmick to get parents to buy more product. People will see "toddler formula" on the label and assume that their babies need this special product. They'll think that if toddlers didn't need it, why would the company make it? Well, formula companies are not in the business for altruistic reasons. They are out there trying to make money, just like any other company, and sometimes making money means using marketing to create a "need" for something that isn't really necessary.

If you're not planning on replacing any nursing sessions with formula bottles, then I think you can safely pass on the toddler formula. In fact, I think that you should: I read recently that all formula cans contain BPA which can leach into the formula. Yuck!!! Leave the toddler formula on the shelf, and use the money you save to buy some organic whole milk!

To add to your train of thought, it also seems that with continuing research into breastfeeding, and the discovery of the continuing benefits of breastfeeding past 12 mos., both nutritionally, and due to the greater amount of antibodies in breastmilk in the 2nd year, and even the WHO's recommendations to breastfeed until 2 years, that the formula companies are going to try and cash in on that too. You know, if it's best to breastfeed well past 12 mos, then it would be logical to assume that additional formula for a formula fed child after 12 mos. would also be beneficial.

And honestly, in a formula fed child, perhaps some sort of additional formula really would be better once they were past the 12 mos. mark. We all know how toddler's eating habits can fluctuate, and one day they can refuse to eat all veggies and only eat crackers or cereal for 2 weeks, and then all of a sudden go back to eating everything in sight.

In a breastfed child though, breastmilk is far superior. It would be logical that if you added in formula, the amount of breastmilk taken in would decline, even after 12 mos., and that wouldn't be better for a breastfed child nutritionally.

Here's what this mom thinks

I have never heard of that particular product, but I wouldn't bother. Any time you give anything to baby it does take the place of a nursing session and since you plan on continuing to nurse, I'd do as a Previous Poster said and leave it on the shelf. Baby doesn't need it

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Since you are planning in nursing full time untill your child self wean I wouldnt bother as previous poster said.....

However, I nursed full time up to 12mo and now I am on formula for day care during the day and nurse at night (or when I am home) .... I am giving the toddler formula now and its working great, no side effects or anything like that....

I would subjest you ask your dr about it since she/he will be the best person to give you advise cause she sees your baby one on one.....

Agreeing with pps that for a breastfed baby there is no need at all for other drinks, just wanted to add that follow-up formulas are most of the time a way for formula companies to 'smuggle' advertising, because advertising formula (or any other substitute for maternal milk) is prohibited almost everywhere in the world.
    http://www.babyfeedinglawgroup.org.u...ormula0207.pdf just a quick link, but you can find many more with a brief research (like, here, where laws and violation all over the world are reported)

HTH!
    Last edited by @llli*panzona; July 10th, 2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added link
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Wow! See, this is why I love this forum!!

Thanks so much moms for all the sage advice. I totally agree with the concensus, it is always preferable to feed the little ones whole healthy foods and mama's milk than to substitute with manufactured foods. I was just wondering as I actually haven't ever heard of Toddler formulas so I didn't know that is what it was.

Extra special thank you to p.p. panzona for your great links to the lawful info. I didn't know any of that before either. It's wonderful to have all this knowledge to back up any answers I have to give to those who love to ask if I'm STILL nursing him!!

THANKS!!!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens