Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could profuse sweating affect supply????

Default Could profuse sweating affect supply????

I had to give LO a bottle at 7 am this morning. This is all all time low for me. My (adopted) babe nursed and squirmed acting hungry from 5 to 7, until I got up and fix the bottle before he woke up my 2 year old. We were in the hay field working in 32 degree heat yesterday, until late last night, needless to day, sweating like a pig. Anyone else experience low milk after excessive sweating???
    Some days I get so frustrated, I've been trying for 3 months now, and everyday I'm trying to read him as to whether or not be needs a bottle. Some days we get away without a bottle, but most days he still needs one in the afternoon. I'm on fenugreek, domperidone, and eating and drinking all the recommended foods/drinks. I just get so frustrated some days. I've never had to even think of milk supple with my biological children, so this is really discouraging.

Default Re: Could profuse sweating affect supply????

I'm so sorry you are feeling discouraged! You are my hero for lactating for your adopted child and I'm so impressed that you make it most days without a bottle! That's amazing.
    I do think sweating profusely can temporarily lower milk supply because the fluids you take in are being used somewhere else, kwim? But I would think that if you increase your fluid intake commensurately that should help.
    In addition to everything else you're doing, are you also pumping? Perhaps adding in a pumping session would help stimulate more supply. I know it probably feels like pumping just takes away from the milk that he is able to get, but actually removing milk frequently is supposed to be the best way to stimulate more supply. Maybe pump after his last feed at night so you don't feel like you're taking it away from him? Even if you don't get much, it might help your supply and then you can put the ebm in with any bottle supplements you use.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wild.spirit View Post
    I had to give LO a bottle at 7 am this morning. This is all all time low for me. My (adopted) babe nursed and squirmed acting hungry from 5 to 7, until I got up and fix the bottle before he woke up my 2 year old. We were in the hay field working in 32 degree heat yesterday, until late last night, needless to day, sweating like a pig. Anyone else experience low milk after excessive sweating???
    Some days I get so frustrated, I've been trying for 3 months now, and everyday I'm trying to read him as to whether or not be needs a bottle. Some days we get away without a bottle, but most days he still needs one in the afternoon. I'm on fenugreek, domperidone, and eating and drinking all the recommended foods/drinks. I just get so frustrated some days. I've never had to even think of milk supple with my biological children, so this is really discouraging.
    I'd guess that it wasn't the sweating, but dehydration caused by the heat and fluid loss that may have impacted your supply. If you were sweating that badly, then I'd guess you lost alot of fluid, and needed to drink even more to replace it than you already have to to support nursing. Try drinking a ton of water and maybe drink something that replaces electrolytes, like maybe Gatorade or another sports drink?

There is a great web site about increasing your milk supply, http://www.lowmilksupply.org/, just in case you have not checked it out.

I just asked Diana West (it's her web site) whether she has heard of profuse sweating affecting supply and she said no.

I applaud your hard work and hope this is a temporary dip.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

Thanks guys,
    I must have drank a gallon of water in the last day or so, and things are a little better this afternoon, although I upped my doses of meds, however I did have to give a 3 o'clock bottle.
    Another 300 bales of hay to bring in on the weekend though....ugh!

Just a quick note say all is back to normal, I have no explanation for the sudden dip other than the sweating, so I believe that was it even though I really did drink a ton of water at the time. Unfortunately we have another 500 bales of hay to bring in this weekend, but on advice of @llli*frannie.farmer, I'm armed with gatorade this time, along with my water. Cross your fingers for me.

Sounds like dehydration was the culprit. Good luck in the hay field. Stay hydrated!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008