Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where to get tea or meds?

Default Where to get tea or meds?

Who would prescribe the medicine to increase milk production? Ped or Obst.?
    Where can y ou get the tea? Thanks

Default Re: Where to get tea or meds?

The tea is available at most health food stores. The kind I drink is by Traditional Medicinals and it's called Mother's Milk tea.

Two drugs that are available for increasing milk supply are Reglan and Domperidone. Your OBGYN could prescribe the Reglan. I'm not sure if he or she could prescribe Domperidone in the US. You may need to order it online.

I would highly recommend that you use the drugs as a last resort. First, try to increase your nursing frequency. That alone works for most women.

Smile Re: Where to get tea or meds?

my mother told me that she used to drink plain decaf tea with milk and sugar, and that that helped her....i'm yet to try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ellas_mum
    my mother told me that she used to drink plain decaf tea with milk and sugar, and that that helped her....i'm yet to try it though.
    Did you know that tea (both regular and decaf) can block the absorption of iron? Thought I'd mention that because iron deficiency is the most common deficiency in the US, especially for women in their child bearing years. And low iron can cause low milk supply.

fenugreek (available at GNC) also helps to increase milk supply. i used it for about 2 weeks and definitely noticed a difference! the breastfeeding center at the hospital told me to take 3 capsules 3 times a day. i don't think you need to/should take it past 2-3 weeks...your local LLL or breastfeeding center should be able to advise you on this.