Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Whole Nuts - Quick

Exclamation Whole Nuts - Quick

when did you first give them to your LO - quick!

Nevermind - i think she's got the hang of it. *whew*
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; July 8th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: Whole Nuts - Quick

A few weeks ago in Portland he got into some honey roasted peanuts. He did fine. Then last week camping he got into the whole almonds. It makes me so nervous, but he has the hang of it. So I guess the answer is 18 months.

Lyn I almost threw up watching her with this almond. She kept saying: "hmm" and smiling at me but not giving up the nut. I have a handful every day with water while I nurse her first thing when I get home.

She's had nuts before but never whole. So I took one, nibbled on it to show her what she needed to do, then watched her like a hawk because she just popped the whole thing into her mouth! And as she always wants to nurse with food in her mouth I had to make sure it was fully crunched up before she got any breastmilk. Sheesh. Thanks for the response though.

"Don't toush da mango"

I don't give my boys whole nuts until over age 3. B4 that, they can have chopped nuts in something, or maybe peanuts(sometime after 2) bcse they naturally are halved, but not whole nuts of other kinds.

I would for sure not give whole nuts until a child had all of their second set of molars in, and when they could follow directions to spit something out if directed to, and sit down and chew carefully when directed to. Same thing with hard candy in our house...they can have it sometime after 3 if they sit down when they eat it and can follow directions about how to eat it. If they don't follow directions, they have to spit it out.

we just started about 2 weeks ago with cashews....the pieces and halves....they are cheaper than the whole ones anyway
    maybe you could divert her with those.....its soooo scary when they pop something in thier mouth thats just as big as thier airway....especially when they wont give it up! ds did that last night with a colossal olive at grammas house.....i was so scared and thinking, at least it has a hole in the middle!

Yea she did good with it, but I don't think I'll be repeating it anytime soon.

"Don't toush da mango"

I knew an emergency room physician who told me to never give nuts to a child under 5 because it is easy for them to accidentally suck one into their lungs. He said it is an ordeal to try and remove one from the lungs because they get wet and crumble. Even after a bronchial wash (not a fun procedure) infection usually sets in. He was so passionate about this and said he has dealt with this situation too often. So needless to say my DS does not get whole nuts.