Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding Schedule for 7-month old?

Question Feeding Schedule for 7-month old?

hi ladies,

i've been starting my LO on solids since her 6-mo. and it's been going well. i recently started having her meals 2x/day where she would have solids in the morning (fruit+rice cereal) at her sitter and for dinner w/ us (vegetable). she's still getting 2 bottles of BM at the sitter (about 3oz. each) and i told the sitter to give the solid meal sometime before her 1st bottle which is around 10am. at home, she would eat 1/2 a container of the gerber 1st foods but after trying out w/ the sitter, they said she ate a whole container w/ some rice cereal added!

from what i've read all over these boards, they say you should still have BM as the main source of food and BF before feeding solids. now, i recently spoke to my LC who suggested solids BEFORE BF since by 10 mos. she should be at 70% solids and that BF should already have decreased to maybe 5x/day total. she also suggested adding the 2nd solid meal (w/ the sitter) since i was only giving solids once during dinner. BF on demand was still recommended and that naturally the BF feedings should decrease due to increasing the solids.

as u can see i'm confused yet again since i'm so used to EBM and am lost at the transitioning w/ solids being a 1st-time mom. i still would like to wean my LO by a year as recommended but until then, i would still like to keep BFing and have been successful at not needing to supplement w/ formula even though the amt. i provide is on the low end. my LO still BF 7x/day which includes the 2 bottles.

so, my question (sorry for being longwinded) is how i should be scheduling solids and BF until the 1-year mark so i can successfully wean her by then?

TIA!!
    -Mahina
    & &
    11/25/07

Default Re: Feeding Schedule for 7-month old?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mahina View Post
    i still would like to wean my LO by a year as recommended but until then, i would still like to keep BFing and have been successful at not needing to supplement w/ formula even though the amt. i provide is on the low end. my LO still BF 7x/day which includes the 2 bottles.
    Just FYI, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation is not "Baby should be weaned at 1" but rather "Baby should be nursed at least until 1, and as long thereafter as mutually desirable by mother and child." The World Health Organization recommendation is actually to nurse until the age of 2, and as long thereafter as both mom and baby want.

I'm not trying to talk you out of weaning at 1 if that's what you want- but you don't have to wean if you don't want to! Speaking as the mom of a nursing 2 year-old, I can say that there are a lot of benefits to continuing.

It sounds like you are doing great with nursing, and providing for your baby! If she's nursing 7 times a day, I think it would be okay to offer solids before nursing, so long as you continue to nurse on demand. If you feel like your baby is taking in too many solids, you can always reverse the pattern, and feel confident that your baby will boost your supply by nursing more frequently and draining the breast more thoroughly.

If you go ahead with your decision to wean at 1, don't be surprised if you end up weaning a little bit ahead or a little bit behind that goal. Not too many babies can be convinced to stop on the dot on their first birthdays!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"