Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to introduce cow's milk

Default How to introduce cow's milk

Hi ladies,
    I want to introduce cow's milk to my gril ... she is 1yo soon to be 13mo... I want this to be a very smooth and slow process.... I bf when I am home however she takes 20 oz of formula on daycare, plus breatfast (cereal) lunch (suop anykind) and dinner (whatever we are having) I have no problem giving her formula but its kind of expensive and she is taking about 2-3 cans per week.... I give cheese and other dairy.. no allegyc reaction so far....

So, how to I introduce cow's milk??? mix with water??? one btl formula 1 cow's milk??? mix both together??? please guide me....

The pedi says that if I like I could give her The Next-Spet formula which I want to do the transition from Enfacare to Next-Step.... however, I dont think she will stay too long on formula....

Default Re: How to introduce cow's milk

I didn't use formula - I mixed cow's milk with EBM. At first - 1 oz or so cow's milk to 3 oz of EBM. Every week or two, I'd increase the cow's milk portion. I did this over several months, I believe. At 16 months, dd2 now takes about 6 oz of cow's milk per day at dcp and nurses at home. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama-cpa View Post
    I didn't use formula - I mixed cow's milk with EBM. At first - 1 oz or so cow's milk to 3 oz of EBM. Every week or two, I'd increase the cow's milk portion. I did this over several months, I believe. At 16 months, dd2 now takes about 6 oz of cow's milk per day at dcp and nurses at home. HTH.
    this is how most of the children that i take care of transition to cows milk from formula. 1 oz at a time mixed with formula. some of the los still need the chill taken off of the cows milk too. just a minute in the warmer.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

My baby boy, 13 months, won't drink breast milk or formula from a bottle or a sipply cup so I decided to try cow milk. He likes it. He doesn't drink a lot at a time but he doesn't reject it. I tried it with 1% or 2% and then go with whole milk. I think he likes the creamy taste of it. I still breastfeed him but cow milk will be good for him when he's at day care.

I started by pouring myself a glass of milk and letting DD take sips! It was fun for her to drink what mommy was drinking, and from mommy's cup!

Does she drink well from a cup? Does she seem to like cow's milk?

How about trying to eliminate one formula bottle and replace it with a sippy cup of cow's milk at daycare and see how she does with it? Most dentists suggest eliminating bottles after 12 mos. due to teeth issues, so it might be an easy time to switch them out for a cup with cow's milk. She won't be expecting formula in a cup, so it might work out just fine. You could eliminate more formula as she learned to drink the cow's milk.

Really though, I think the "rule" is that as long as a toddler is nursing 3-4 times a day, which could be done b4 and after you work, that formula or even cow's milk aren't really necessary anyway nutritionally. Lot's of moms eliminate bottles at daycare after 12 mos and just nurse baby when they're together. Some offer cow's milk during the day, some don't. The moms who don't bother with cow's milk just work on feeding lots of calcium rich foods to their toddlers, and making sure they get enough playtime outside in the sun(for vitamin D) or by making sure they take a vitamin supp. for the Vitamin D.

If your lo likes cheese, and yogurt, and the like, it will be even easier for you to make the transition, because you'll be getting calcium and vitamin D from some very easy sources and not as much cow's milk will be needed if you choose to go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*homeandhappy View Post
    I started by pouring myself a glass of milk and letting DD take sips! It was fun for her to drink what mommy was drinking, and from mommy's cup!
    LOL this sounds like us... my baby likes to eat and drink whatever mamy is having LOL.... she doesnt know how to drink from a sippy cup yet, but I sppon her liquids....

I like the idea of putting 1 oz of cow's milk and 3oz of formula.. defently not bm since I wont go back to pumping..... but I will start to spoon her cow's milk first... in case of any reaction....

she likes cheese, cream, sour cream and other dairies....

Thanks you all for all your replaies....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lulu.mom View Post
    LOL this sounds like us... my baby likes to eat and drink whatever mamy is having LOL.... she doesnt know how to drink from a sippy cup yet, but I sppon her liquids....

I like the idea of putting 1 oz of cow's milk and 3oz of formula.. defently not bm since I wont go back to pumping..... but I will start to spoon her cow's milk first... in case of any reaction....

she likes cheese, cream, sour cream and other dairies....

Thanks you all for all your replaies....
    If she doesn't know how to drink from a sippy cup, I'd suggest you try a small regular cup, or a kids straw cup. Regular cups can be messy, but that's what you'll transition to eventually anyway, so there's nothing wrong with skipping sippy cups altogether. At one year old, I would think that she needs far more liquid than she can get from being spoon fed, so It would be advantageous for her to learn to use the cup asap since it sounds like you're starting to wean her of the formula.

No, I am not weanning her off of formula yet... I will most likely stay on formula for like another 5 months may be, I want to introduce cow's milk, but not to replace formula, just to introduce for now..... May be when she is I dont know 16 mo 17 mo somewhere there I will wean her off formula.... I am giving her time, she is a preemie born at 32 weeks, so she is actually doing great in development, she just need more time to figure out that sippy cups are not nipples .....

I spoon her when I want her to try things, but no way for a feeding of milk, she gets her bottle, hold it and everything....

Thanks for your comment....

PS - I have used defferent sippy cups thopught,