Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding very hour/ hour and a half at 9 days old.

Default Feeding very hour/ hour and a half at 9 days old.

Sorry that should be 'every' hour - not 'very'!!

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is committed to trying to breastfeed this time around (on first occasion her premature baby was in hospital a month and her supply didn't cope well with only pumping and feeding tubes.)

Her baby is now 9 days old and she is going around 2 hours during the day but the last couple of nights she's been feeding every hour/ hour and a half. She understands there's a big spectrum of normal but is there anything I can tell her. She's not comfortable with co-sleeping and has memories of her formula feeding baby home at 5 weeks with much longer intervals at night. I suggested a growth spurt but is this realistic at 9 days?
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by sam'smum; August 2nd, 2006 at 12:42 PM.

Default Re: Feeding very hour/ hour and a half at 9 days old.

i remember my baby feeding some days every 45 mins when she was that age. at nine days, the supply is still being established. i think it's too early for her to be seeing long periods of time between feeds, even at night. until after my baby's 3 week growth spurt i remember feeding every 45-1 hour during the day and maybe every 2-3 hrs at night. i kept a log in the first few weeks and i am referencing that now... day 10 was very growth spurt-ish- i nursed practically the entire day and night, but i do recall the nurses telling me that would happen around 7-10 days post partum. i think they do have somewhat of a growth spurt around that time. tell her to hang in there, i think what her LO is doing is common. is she sure the baby is latched properly? hope that helps!

Very normal -- the 10-day(ish) growth spurt, plus babies often have their days and nights mixed up for the first couple weeks. Tell her to hang in there, get help with food and house, and keep nursing on cue -- this too shall pass!

--Rebecca

Until ds was about 2 months he would eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and his feedings would last for 45min to an hour. I felt like he was permanately attached to my boob.
    Let your friend know it will get better and this is the baby's way of increasing her supply.

DD has been doing that since about day 4, and she's 15 days old today. It varies at night. Most of the time, she'll sleep for 2-3 hours straight, and then wake up to nurse, and then during the day, it seemed like the only thing I DID was nurse her. She's gotten a little better about it. Hang in there. It really does get easier. It may seem like your friend is doing nothing but nursing her child, but in a week or 2, he/she will stop nursing so much, and she will wonder what to do with her spare time.

At nine days, my child was nursing 24/7. My friends didn't understand how I could put up with it. But I just knew that every baby is different and that this one needed to be latched on very often. What helped me was to use a ring sling. This way I could latch him on, and then get up and move around. Not that that means house work, because in the beginning, I think that the housework should be the last priority. But with the sling, I was able to breastfeed and then get up to go to the bathroom, prepare food for myself, etc. I don't know what I would have done without a sling.

-Lauren