Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to pump on the weekends?

Default Do I need to pump on the weekends?

So now that I'm back at work, I nurse DD in the morning before I go, pump 3x at work and then I nurse her in the evening/night. My question is, do I need to pump on the weekends as well, after I nurse or between feedings? It looks like she's going to be needing more in the bottles and I want to make sure to keep my supply up...

Thanks!

Default Re: Do I need to pump on the weekends?

I never did. I was happy to NOT pump if I didn't have to.

Whatever I pumped on Friday I used for day care on Monday.

Why are you thinking that your DD may be needing more in bottles?

The rule of thumb that worked for us is that baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz EBM for every hour away from mom. So for 8 hours that's 8 to 12 oz EBM.

Many moms have found that their care providers don't have alot of experience bottle feeding a breastfed baby so overfeed.

Also - many moms find it helps to stick with a slow flow (or "newborn") nipple for bottles. My DS used newborn nipples until his last bottle when he was about 13 mo old.

Here's a great resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I didn't pump on weekends either, but my lo nursed a LOT on weekends to make up for missing me during the week, so I know that helped keep my supply well up. If you think you need more milk, you can pump after nursing sessions just to boost your stash, but if you have plenty for her use, I wouldn't bother with the hassle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Same here - I didn't pump on weekends, except right before bed if lo didn't nurse both sides before going down. I nursed am, pumped 3 x's at work, nursed after work and before bed. I, too, used Friday's pumped EBM for DCP on Mondays. If you are not getting enough EBM for next day, can you add a pump session at work or before bed (if lo is sleeping longer stretches)?

Thanks everyone...
    I have an ok stash in the freezer, maybe a month or so's worth - I'm home on Tuesdays, so DD only goes to daycare 4 days a week. I usually get somewhere between 12-15 oz total for all 3 pumping sessions during the day. I've also been pumping in the mornings after nursing before I leave for work and usually get about 4-5oz.

The reason I think DD may need more in her bottles is that I've been taking 5 3 oz bottles to daycare, and usually she only takes 4 of them (the dcp requested an extra one to have just in case). But the last few days, she has been taking all 5 and the dcp said when she would finish, it seemed like she wanted more (and she was eating just about every 1.5 hours). She actually has a lot of experience with newborns - it's a home daycare and the other two babies that she cares for - one is six months old and the other is just over a year I think - she's been caring for since they were both little babies - so I don't think she's overfeeding...

Perhaps a growth spurt? I think 3 mo is about the time for a growth spurt.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I was thinking that as well. She seems to nurse longer than usual as well, but still wants to eat just about every two hours...

I'm wondering if I should increase the bottles to 3.5 oz, or go up to 4?

I never pumped on the weekends and I pumped for 15 months. I have found the dcp definately overfeed, even the best of them! USe a slow feed nipple, give clear instructions of how you want her fed, as in, feeding should take x amount of time, take it slow, only do 1/2- 1 ounce at a time and then burp. I have found the clearer I was regarding feeding, the closer he ate to what I was producing. Good luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I get what you're saying about the overfeeding, and being specific with the dcp, etc. but I'm assuming dd won't always take only 3 oz at a feeding, right? So if not now, when should I increase the amount in her bottle?