Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medicine to increase milk production?

Exclamation Medicine to increase milk production?

Has anyone had success with products/medicine to increase milk production? My son nurses about every hourish (He is 3 mo. old) so I try to pump but I do not get very much. If I try in the morning, I can usually get 3 oz (total from both breasts) and later in the day I barely get 2. Eventually, I would like to stockpile for when I go back to work (8 mos) but I desperately need to get some for the sporadic days I must attend training, etc. I have tried pumping from one breast while he feeds from the other (he likes to eat from both) but nothing seems to give me more than a little. I have a friend who successfully pumped from 6 wks to 12 mos. for her tot but I am scared I can't just won't be able to get enough supply. ??????

Default Re: Medicine to increase milk production?

Hi, have you tried fenugreek or mother's milk tea? I've had success with them. Also, blessed thistle, hops, and brewer's yeast have helped others. They are available at health food stores.

Eating a bowel of oatmeal each day helps me too.

It's difficult to pump when you're with your little one full time. Try not to stress too much. Your son will be older when you go back to work. If you don't pump much on missed feedings, you can have the daycare provider feed him some solids.

Actually, if you are getting 2-3 ounces at a time without having missed a feeding that sounds like you're doing pretty well. If you pick regular times to pump and do it at that same time each day, your body will start to see that as another feeding and you may start to produce more. Keep pumping for awhile after the milk flow stops; this will signal your body to make more milk.

hand expression works beter for some moms then the pump does.
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    And try not to worry about something that is so far away.. 8 months is a long time away in baby terms. by then the baby will be much bigger and eating some solid foods and depending on the hours you will be gone might not need much pumped milk.

you might want to call your local lll leader she can put you in touch with other working moms. I might help to have somebody to talk to thats btdt for helpfull hints and just some mom to mom support.

fenugreek worked wonders for me! you can get them at a health store like GNC.

Question Re: Medicine to increase milk production?

My baby now is 3 months and suddenly refused to drink any fomular, before he was mix fed and now he only drinks my milk. and everyday till the evening time, he cannot get too much milk and makes him so upset!
    it seems mother's milk tea works well, but how long i have to take it to keep the milk supply? and i am worrying about any side effect since whatever I eat or drink will go to my baby. anyone who knows more info? Thanks.