Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Funny taste

Arrow Funny taste

I know other people have had issues too and I read a lot of other threads but still don't know what to do.

5/25/08 I pumped then cooled then froze BM. In Lano.. bags with the double ziploc on the top then put into plastic tray with lid by first years I think. In middle of my freezer (side by side fridge/freezer), not against the walls. Freezer keeps ice cream good and hard.

Defrosted milk in fridge overnight. It has a funny smell, not sour. So I tasted it, funny...not rancid not sour not soapy. Had DH taste it he says not freezer burn but I thought maybe. Had no choice but to give it to LO because we were at ortho doc when we discovered all this and she had to have a bottle. She sucked it down like nothing was wrong with it.

Is it ok to keep giving this to her. I check the other 3 bags I defrosted at the same time and they all smell the same way. What do you think it is?
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Default Re: Funny taste

If she drank it I would think it was o.k. I don't think LO would drink milk that was bad.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Default Re: Funny taste

I think it's fine. Even if you did have a lipase issue, it wouldn't hurt lo to drink the milk. Most of the time, they will refuse it. Was it metallic tasting?