Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is a faster flow nipple ok if that's what the baby prefers?

Default Is a faster flow nipple ok if that's what the baby prefers?

For some reason for the past two days my 2 month old has refused the bottle. (Well, refused it at first but after some crying spells was able to take a some). Tonight, after my partner got frustrated, I tried to feed her with the slower flow nipples we've been using for the past couple of weeks(the ones that came with our Born Free bottles). She had used them fine for about 5-6 bottles within the last couple of weeks. As I was having no luck either tonight, I decided to switch to the Medela bottle who's "slow" flow nipples are not very slow. The plastic also seems softer than the Born Free nipples. I have no idea if it was just a fluke, but my daughter sucked down the rest of the bottle very quickly. (She had used those nipples during the first 2 weeks when I had to supplement with EBM after feedings as she was a very jaundice, sleepy baby who needed to gain weight). Prior to switching out the bottles tonight, it was as if she had forgotten how to bottlefeed and where to put her toungue etc.

We are going to try that bottle/nipple again either tomorrow or the next day (tomorrow she gets her shots so we may skip a daily bottle tomorrow).

I guess if she takes it we should just go with it-as I am scheduled to go back to work part time in three weeks and really need to make sure she can take a bottle with not much fuss. On the other hand, could such a fast flow nipple make her want to stay away from the breast going forward? I'm only working 20 hours a week and would love to be able to continue to breast feed during the times we are together.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is a faster flow nipple ok if that's what the baby prefers?

My DD took a fast flow nipple earlier also, she would always get frustrated with her med flow nipple. I have over active let down and fast flowing milk, so it just made sense that she would do better with a fast flow nipple on the bottle. Just make sure that your LO doesn't choke on it. Good Luck!
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Thanks for your reply

It's hard to gage as I've never watched anyone eles's milk come out. But, I think my milk comes out fast-especially my left side. Sometimes when my daughter is first feeding the milk drips out of the side of her mouth an onto the nursing pillow. And, she has choked a lot in the past although lately she doesn't choke as often. Plus, when I pump it seems (especially the left) that the milk comes out really fast. Most times I get most of my milk within the first 5 minutes. And on the left side that can be 3-4 ounces in the morning.

I just wish there was an "in between nipple". The one she used again this morning comes out soooo fast (even though it says it's slow flow). Plus, I see air bubbles when she's eating from that nipple/bottle. She would have finished the whole three ounces this morning but I stopped her to try to burp her a few times and after the last "stop" by me I guess she decided she'd had enough and didn't want to take it again. I'm thinking 2 1/2 ounces is ok for her size. She gets weighed today, but she was only 5 lbs 8 ounces at birth, so my guess is she's probably no more than 9 lbs today.

It's so hard to tell how much she's drinking from my breast. In general she takes one breast at a time. And lately when I've just pumped from the one breast to replace her bottle feeding, sometimes I only get two ounces. So maybe for the most part she is only drinking 2 ounces per feed. I have no idea.

This breastfeeding is confusing. Well, I guess what's making it confusing is trying to introduce a regular bottle when she's finally gotten used to taking the breast. Because in the beginning when she was so sleepy and jaundice the breast was the struggle and the bottle seemed easy. Now the reverse is true. I just want her to switch back an forth and not prefer one or the other. Not too impossible right?

I was able to bottle feed while at work and nurse while at home, so it definitely can be done!

It may be that your daughter doesn't want to take a bottle from you because she knows your breasts are right there. Sometimes they won't take a bottle from anyone when they know their mommy is around. Try leaving the house and see if she is happier taking the bottle. Also, be careful of replacing nursing sessions with bottle feedings when you don't have to because it can still affect your supply. Try to pump when you miss a nursing session so you can keep your body producing milk. It is easier to skip sessions once your supply is well established.

It's a pretty good bet your daughter is getting more from your breast than you can pump. Babies are much better at getting the milk out than a pump is, so a pump is not a good indicator or how much baby is eating. The best way to tell that she is getting enough is by counting wet and dirty diapers (5-6 wets and 1 dirty per day- less dirtys are ok because breastfed babies sometimes don't poop every day).

Good luck going back to work! I hope all goes well for you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We thought the flow was the issue with our LO but it turned out she preferred the softer latex nipple (Playtex) over the harder white plastic ones. Go figure.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008