Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids substitute or sumplement breastfeeding?

Default solids substitute or sumplement breastfeeding?

Hi, I am really confused weather solids meals need to substitute or supplemenent milk meals.

I have visited 2 ped's and have been told NOT to offer BM during solid meals. I read the opposite in the forum, and other sites.(that i should also offer bm with solid meals).

I am a working mum so I need to know in advance what to do, as I leave ebm at home with LO, 7mo.

I know that for formula fed babies the solid meal substitutes the milk, so why not for bm fed babies as well??

Any advise?

Default Re: solids substitute or sumplement breastfeeding?

IMO (and also per me pedi), solids supplement bfing until baby is at least 1 year old. The rule of thumb I have heard is to offer solids only after baby has breastfed so that baby is not filling up on solids and drinking less bm. BM is far more nutritious than any baby food.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

That's my understanding as well. My ped also told me that BM should be her main source of nutrition until at least 1 and before that solids were really more for experimenting, getting used to new tastes/textures, etc. I was also told to offer BM before solids so baby didn't get full before nursing, though this never seemed to be a problem for us.

One reason I can think of that it might be more of an issue for breastfed babies rather than formula fed (this is just my guess) is to prevent a decrease in your milk supply.

Having said all that, I know that when my dd was away from me she would eat more solids at day care. She more than made up for milk intake when she was with me, though. She nursed A LOT in the evenings, nights, mornings, and weekends.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eve.babyboy View Post
    Hi, I am really confused weather solids meals need to substitute or supplemenent milk meals.

I have visited 2 ped's and have been told NOT to offer BM during solid meals. I read the opposite in the forum, and other sites.(that i should also offer bm with solid meals).

I am a working mum so I need to know in advance what to do, as I leave ebm at home with LO, 7mo.

I know that for formula fed babies the solid meal substitutes the milk, so why not for bm fed babies as well??

Any advise?
    You should ask them why. But you could do it either way and it probably wouldnt make a difference. We prefer to do BM first fill up baby as much as possible then give solids. BM is so much more convenient than regular food so we want to do it for as long as possible. Doctors education is mostly focused on how to treat when things are broken. They also dont get much nutrition education. Also, many doctors dont really keep up with the latest thoughts.