Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Baby on Cereal

Default Starting Baby on Cereal

Hello. I just started DS on cereal this past week. He is just over 6 months old. This is his first solid. My question is, when do you think is the best time of day to give him cereal, and how much do you think I should be giving him? I just want to do it right so that he is still getting plenty of breast milk.

Default Re: Starting Baby on Cereal

If you are just starting out, I suggest offering the breast first, and then maybe one time per day offer a couple bites of cereal (whenever you think your LO is the hungriest)

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I always just chose whatever time was most convenient for me. Generally before bathtime since solids can be pretty messy! As long as you nurse, then offer solids like PP mentioned, I don't think the specific time of day matters much.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My pedi told me 1 tbsp. twice a day. (morning and night) We have only been trying once a day every few days. LO is not quite 6 months so we are starting slow.
    Wife to Levi 10/05/02
    Mommy to Kady 02/13/08

Birth: 7 lbs 11 oz 21 inches
    2 week: 8.5 lbs 21.5 inches
    2 month: 11.8 lbs 23 inches
    4 month: 15 lbs 25 inches
    6 month: 17.7lbs 26.5 inches
    9 month: 20.1lbs 27.5 inches
    12 month: 23 lbs 29.5 inches

Okay. Thank you very much everyone! We'll see how it goes.

My pedi said to offer twice per day. I did morning and suppertime. I started with rice cereal. DS loved it and wanted more than just a few bites. He practically inhaled about 1/4 cup cooked cereal the first time. Never had so much as a flicker of "what's this?" on his face. He's almost 8 months now. We are still doing it twice per day. I think most sources agree that 1-2 times per day is fine. At 6 mos they don't need three solid meals per day. He still loves it, and sometimes I think eats close to a whole up of the cooked stuff at each sitting. We have done oatmeal, rice, and barley. He would scream if I ever tried to limit it to a few bites. Just go with LO's cues, he will let you know if he does/doesn't want more!

Okay. I am having concerns today. LO woke up crying this morning. Usually when he wakes up, he is all smiles, rolling around, happy as can be for several hours. So right away I knew something was wrong. Nothing seemed to comfort him either. He didn't want to nurse, didn't want to play, walking him around helped but still there were tears. He went back to sleep a couple hours after he woke up and slept for about 2 1/2 hours (long morning nap for him). Then he woke up again and was okay but still fussier than normal. To my surprise he fell asleep again about 2 hours after waking from his last nap and is still sleeping now 45 minutes later. This is a lot of sleep for him. I should note he also slept the night before from about 8 p.m. - 6 a.m. (waking up to nurse throughout the night at his usual times). I noticed his stomach gurgling a bit. I am wondering if it is the cereal that caused this? I hadn't given him any in a couple of days because he hadn't seem interested. I gave him about 4 bites at about 5 p.m. yesterday (we have worked our way up to a thicker consistency but still it was more like pureed food). Do you think maybe his system isn't ready for this? Is that possible at his age? (over 6 months). He shows a lot of interest in eating the cereal usually. I dunno. *worried 'bout my baby*

could he be teething? that could account for the increase in sleep. I don't *think* that the cereal could cause that - not just a few bites anyway.

Is he showing any signs of being allergic to the cereal?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    could he be teething? that could account for the increase in sleep. I don't *think* that the cereal could cause that - not just a few bites anyway.

Is he showing any signs of being allergic to the cereal?
    It is definitely possible that he could be teething. He has had his hand in his mouth throughout the morning. That usually causes an increase in sleep? That is definitely good to know. Hopefully that is what this is then.

I don't think he is showing any signs of being allergic to the cereal. I did think of that, but I don't think that is the case, I hope.

Thank you for your help ma'am.