Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm so sad...

Default I'm so sad...

I have just been diagnosed with PPD and my doctor, my pharmacist and my ped have all advised me that I should stop my efforts to relactate/breastfeed as the meds can transfer into my breastmilk and may have negative effects on DS.

I feel so crushed. I almost feel like a failure. I felt that way because I didn't breastfeed the first time around and relactating gave me a new sense of worthiness... And now that is taken away from me too. I feel like I've failed my son twice.

This is going to take some time for me to process I guess... I was happy to find this board and now I feel sad that I have to leave...

I wish everyone the best of luck in their efforts with relactation. It is possible. I was close to milk coming in... So close...

Thanks for the support during the short time I could be a member of this board.

Thanks,
    Felicia

Default Re: I'm so sad...

Felicia,
    First....I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself. That's so important.
    Second....I hope you can find a way to not feel like a failure. You are a wonderful caring mother and your children are blessed and lucky to have you. They need you; they need you healthy - emotionally and physically - so please do what you need to do to take care of yourself.
    Third....before you totally close the door on this chapter, are there any other meds possible that would be effective for your care but would pose less of a risk for your relactation efforts? Any chance of getting started on some meds to get you stable - while you keep pumping (but perhaps not give the milk to your LO) and then move to something that IS compatible with BF? See what I mean? Maybe it's not necessary to totally give up yet? I don't want to raise false hopes nor do I want to add any pressure - but sometimes medical folks err too quickly on the side of caution when it comes to encouraging moms to stop nursing due to meds. Have your practitioners consulted Dr. Hale's studies and available resources that SPECIFICALLY track meds in breastfeeding moms?? What meds - if you are comfortable disclosing - are they suggesting?? Maybe some of the LLL folks here could check out Hale's info for you.

Please don't go away yet - BF or not, you are welcome here and are among friends!

best wishes and hugs to you,
    -linda

Thanks... I do feel a bit better.

My doctor perscribed paxil. I am getting conflicting information from the ped and the internet and the pharmacist. The ped said it was okay to continue breastfeeding with the paxil. I didn't get to talk to her so I wasn't able to inform her of my relactating so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The pharmacist that she strongly urged me to either not breastfeed or not take the meds. Not taking the meds is not an option... I need to be there for my son mentally and emotionally.

I have found this online http://www.storknet.com/news/paxil_breastfeeding.htm and that has given me some hope. I just need to find out if it's safe to take the paxil and the herbs to help me relactate. Herbs tend to be fairly safe, I Know but I just want to be sure before I do both.

Thanks...

Oh! OK -- here's some more info. And the news is good! Check out this site:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1080853874

Dr. Thomas Hale is pretty much THE authority on meds in the breastfeeding mom. He has done extensive research that is specific for lactation. Most meds are not clinically tested on lactating women, so quite alot of meds automatically come with a "don't use" stigma. Sometimes that's very valid!! And sometimes it's not.

Dr. Hale actually states that "Paxil is good for breastfeeding mothers" (direct quote) and that the amt transfered to breastmilk is VERY low. Check out his site and see if your doctors would be willing to consult with him -- he answers questions from medical professionals online in his forum.

Keep the faith!

And, no matter what you decide to do, IT'S OK and you're a good mom. Caring for your children starts with caring for yourself and depression is NOTHING to take lightly (been there and back, hon, we can chat more via private message or e-mail if you want more personal support; anytime!)

take care...........-linda

Linda, thank you so much. I requested the paxil after looking at his info on kellymom and then to have my doc and the pharmacist tell that they would recommend that I didn't BF...

Thank you so much.

You wouldn't by any chance know if taking herbs (for relactation) along with the paxil is okay?

Thanks!

Oooooh. No. I don't, sorry. What herbs in particular? Fenugreek?

I'm really hoping that one of the LLLleaders is going to hop on this thread - they are much more experienced with the sources to read on all this.

Seriously, though, next time you talk with your medical practitioners, go armed with the website link info for Thomas Hale's site and ask your doc or nurse to write a post to Dr. Hale that is specific to your situation - they may just get an answer and then all of you can have the peace of mind you need.

I'll be keeping good thoughts for you and will help dig for more info, so feel free to ask questions!

I'm so so happy that you found this site. You are doing so much for yourself and your children and that takes courage, strength and love - and you're doing it. Hang in there.

-Linda

I am taking fenurgeek seed, blessed thistle, nettle leaf, and fennel seed. It's a combo pill (More Milk Plus).

I am hoping that one of the LLL leaders get in on this thread too...

I've heard that hearbs are fairly safe and the only thing I can find is "Do not combine Paxil with herbs like St.John's Wort, Kava, Hop, or Ginseng." But nothing about the herbs I am taking.

Thanks for all your support. I would love to continue with my relactating... I was getting there, ya know?

Thanks

You still are getting there! Keep up your efforts (even if it's pump and dump) until you know for sure what your parameters really are.

I found this: http://www.lalecheleague.org/helpform.html You can go there and fill out an e-mail for a leader to help answer your questions -- just in case someone doesn't hop onto this thread. You can go into the "Members List" link in the blue bar at the top of each page here in the forum, click on the number-of-posts to sort the members based on how many times they have posted and several of the LLL leaders will be up in the top listings. Click on their names and you will have the option to send an e-mail or a private message directly to them -- I've done that and gotten responses when I needed some good info faster than the forum provided! Sometimes it can be slow here during the summer, etc.

I'll see if I can do a little digging for you - but probably not until tomorrow; must get on my commute home soon!

glad to 'meet' you, Felicia! take care,
    -linda