Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting the process

Default starting the process

My baby girl will be 1 on sat (I can't believe it, time has went by so fast), I am wanting to start the weaning process. I had planned to do it slowly and at first cut down/& eventually out the pumping at work. However today when I think about it, I get a little sad. I know this may sound selfish but I am ready to be free from pumping at work and have a little time to myself, but on the other side, I feel like I am going to be lost. Sometimes I am all ready for the weaning & other times I am not . I also think that we have already started the process because she doesn't seem to want her mommy as much at least in that way. I guess my questions are, how can I tell if she is actually starting to wean, and how do you be strong during weaning. I want to take it slow, but will she just eventually forget about it and not want it or will I have to be strong and say no or not give in??
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Default Re: starting the process

I don't have any recommendations about weaning, other than that it's best to do it slowly, but I wanted to let you know that if you want to you can stop pumping and still continue to nurse when you are with your child. I stopped pumping right around 1 year, but we still nurse at night and on weekends and she is 21 months. I just wanted to let you know that it is an option if it's something youre interested in and if you decide you are not ready to wean yet.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I don't have any recommendations about weaning, other than that it's best to do it slowly, but I wanted to let you know that if you want to you can stop pumping and still continue to nurse when you are with your child. I stopped pumping right around 1 year, but we still nurse at night and on weekends and she is 21 months. I just wanted to let you know that it is an option if it's something youre interested in and if you decide you are not ready to wean yet.
    I quit pumping for ds1 at 1 year and nursed for several months nights and weekends. Nursing was much more enjoyable for me when I wasn't lugging around a pump.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

I agree with pps - I stopped pumping when my twin daughters were 12 months. My milk supply did go down some, but the girls still nursed for a few months.

I felt the exact same as you when my girls were 12 months old...sometimes I wanted to wean, and other times I didn't. I would give yourself a little leeway - I kept nursing and I am glad that I did. One of my daughters completely weaned herself a couple of weeks ago (they're just over 15 months now) and the other one is still nursing. Just go with what feels right.

Hallelujah to being done with the pump!!!

thanks ladies. I do plan to nurse her for a little longer on nights and weekends (I feel like a cell phone plan ). I am so ready to give up the pump though. I have only pumped once today and it feels great to have a little more time, but then I almost feel like I am letting her down. I know she will be fine, but that is my baby (she is my first)
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

I understand how you feel. You aren't letting her down, though, she is still getting the best from you when she nurses. If you really feel bad, then keep pumping for a while, but I know for me it was a huge relief to stop dealing with the pump and bottles in general. For me it more than made up for any guilt I felt. But in our case, my daughter wasn't really taking much from a bottle anymore at that point.

You gotta do what's right for you, though.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You aren't letting her down! You've given her a whole year of breastmilk, she is a lucky baby! Many babies don't even get a whole week of bf'ing.

I think you will be much happier when you stop pumping. It's no fun. Then you can still enjoy the bond of nursing.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10