Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids/Reducing Nursing Sessions

Question Starting Solids/Reducing Nursing Sessions

We plan to start LO on his first solids Friday, he will be 5 months old. I am going to start with Organic Rice cereal, and mostly let him piddle around with it for the first two weeks, so that he is closer to six months when we really start aiming for a "meal". (I think LO is ready, he shows a lot of interest in adult food, and is eating larger quantities of milk before bed, almost double his old feedings (by bottle at bedtime) for about three or four weeks.)I plan on starting at dinner time, when supply is lower, and also to try and establish this as a meal time. My question is since BM is still supposed to be the main source of nutrition, how do you gradually reduce nursing sessions? I have had OS, so I really want to try and make a point to introduce a meal time without nursing at some point, so that I can gradually wean little one. I thought maybe eventually he could have a little juice with evening meal instead of milk? My goal is for him to no longer be nursing, (or just a couple of times a day) between 10-12 months. My DH doesn't even want me nursing that long.

Any ideas on how to gradually reduce nursing sessions through out the process?

Default Re: Starting Solids/Reducing Nursing Sessions

It is my understanding that solids should not replace nursing / bottle feeding. The baby should still be getting around the same amount of milk a day with solids added to his/her diet. I give water to DD in a cup when she eats her dinner (sometimes milk in a cup for lunch).
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

The first year you LO's primary source of nutrition should be mama milk. Solids are just small amounts, to start learning about different tastes and textures. I suggest offering milk first, and then small tastes of solids. After your LO is a year old, then offer solids before milk. Also, even though many peds. recommend rice cereal, it isn't as nutrient packed as some other starter foods, like avocados, carrots or bananas. Also, juice is not a good replacement for milk. It is just empty calories (mostly sugar). Whole fruits that are mashed up that have all the parts of the fruit is better healthier/nutritious then juice. HTH!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Don't drop nursing sessions at all until at LEAST 10 months- more likely 12 months. After 1 year you can start cutting out the milk. Milk is much better nutrition for babies less than a year and solids are not meant to replace milk until then.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

You should check out a career as a registered nurse.

Breastmilk should be the baby's main source of nutrition until 12 months. You don't want to drop nursing sessions until much closer to your baby's first birthday.

Umm... Why is it your DH's business how long you nurse your baby? And considering that the American Association of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 1 year and as long thereafter as mutually desired by mom and baby, with increased duration of nursing correlating with increased health benefits for both mother and child, and considering that the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years... What on earth is he thinking, when he tells you he doesn't want you to nurse until the minimum 1 year mark?

Your breasts, your baby, your choice. If you want to nurse your baby, nurse your toddler, nurse your child- do it. Don't let your DH dictate to you, not in this most intimate realm of all things.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You need to do whatever you feel is best for you and your baby regarding weaning, but if you choose to start dropping nursing sessions before a year then you will need to replace those sessions with formula, not solids or juice. As everyone else has noted, solids are for exploration during the first year, and your baby will not get proper nutrition without adequate breast milk or formula during that time. Juice is little more than sugar water, and has little to no nutritional value. Offering water would be healthier than juice. After a year solids become increasingly more important as a source of nutrition, and you can then wean to cow's milk if you so choose.

I agree with the previous posters, but have you talked to your pediatrician about your hopes of weaning before a year? What has he/she said about that? Are you planning to switch to formula? What is your primary reason for wanting to wean before a year? In NO WAY am I trying to offend, but I am curious if you have done any actual research about weaning. If you haven't, the link below goes to an article that rather informative about the advantages of breastfeeding. But seriously, talk to your pediatrician about this, because if you're weren't planning on replacing breastmilk with formula, than you need to re-evaluate your plans.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...ning-your-baby