Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Need Advice

DS is 13 mo. I start my new job tomorrow. I'll travel just under two hours to go to the next city over for training and have to stay overnight from tomorrow until Saturday!!!!!!!! (We didn't know our training schedule until today-grrrr! We didn't know what time we'd start in the morning or how late we'd go in the evening. I planned on coming back and staying the night and heading back the next morning, but that may be impossible.)

I have a mere 8 ounces of bm in the fridge.

DS does not drink cow's milk. He nurses before naps and at bedtime, sometimes even in the morning when he first wakes up, so a total of about 3 to 4 nursing sessions per day.

Since it's not too far of a drive, I can bring my ebm that I get tomorrow back and drive back and forth in the evening. In the meantime, what do I give ds when my mom runs out of the bm that's in the fridge, before I drive back tomorrow evening? I will try to get in extra pumping sessions this afternoon, evening, and tonight. I don't want to supplement with formula. :yuck

Has anyone commuted to deliver bm before? Am I crazy to want to do this? What, if anything, can I give to supplement or give instead of bm?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Need Advice

I think just pump pump pump as much as you can, and commute with the ebm you pump every day. I don't think it's crazy-that's what I would do.
    Does your DS eat solids pretty well? You could try to have your mom give him cow's milk or soy milk (full fat), or just give him water and offer more solids. Yogurt or cheese come to mind.

I can't believe they didn't give you more notice!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I totally echo the pp. Pump Pump Pump and try to build up some stash.

since your LO is 13 months I would try to avoid any formula (my opinion here). Does your LO drink any cow's milk?

My DD loves her yogurt and cheese.

How about diluted juice 1/4 juice 3/4 water?

Maybe your lo won't drink much ebm b/c you are gone?

Can she bring him to you can nurse him at breaks/in between sessions?
    Can you postpone the training?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Can your Mom come with DS to the training?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Well, I've been doing the almost two-hour commute for two days. I'm a little tired. It worked out okay though; ds has never spent more than a few hours away from me at a time, so he's really eager to see me, and I, him. I don't think he would've handled my being away overnight well, let alone for five days! At least it's the company's car and gas! I love my job!!!

I've brought my ebm with me home and left it there for my mom, so he's had just enough for naps, then I nurse him just before bed. I miss my little guy!!!! I had a hard time with pumping: my supply took a major dip due to the lovely af's visit last week.

He'll start daycare next week. It's an in-home daycare and it's fabulous and it's right by my office here in town. (Next week I won't have the commute. It's just for first-week craziness that I have to go to headquarters.) I'll go visit him as I please. I hope that does more good than harm. We've VERY attached and I don't want to make him upset when I leave, kwim?

He doesn't take much cow's milk b/c he has a sensitivity to it; he can have it in very limited quantities, ie. a tiny bit of cheese in his egg. He drinks bm before naps and bedtime and prior to this week, it had all been straight from the tap. I don't know if he would have liked my mom giving him anything but bm before sleeping. I didn't dare try. He had enough going on in not being with mommy for twelve hours, I didn't want to piss him off any more!!! I'm going to give soy a try and see how he likes that, maybe even goat's milk if I can find it!

Thanks, y'all, for the help! I really appreciate it!!!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Sounds like you will have a great situation with your job once you finish the training!
    I'm glad to hear the gas and car are on the company's dollar.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on