Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: have I made a mistake?

Default have I made a mistake?

My 20-month-old daughter has been gradually decreasing the nursing sessions. We're down to just nursing at night (bedtime and a couple of times before morning) and at naptime unless I'm working. It has been going well, and I am still enjoying it most of the time.
    I had been using a progestin-only pill, but since my periods started again a few months ago they have been very unpredictable, and the last one lasted for two weeks. So, I decided to change to a combination pill, thinking that it would be ok if my supply decreases, since we are gradually weaning anyway. I started the new pill yesterday morning, and last night I had noticeably less milk. I felt really bad when my daughter nursed, then asked "more, Mommy, switch sides, more!" I was able to distract her, but now I am questioning whether this is too dramatic a move, whether I should switch back before it is too late, or whether to give her a few days to adjust. Any advice?

Amy

Default Re: have I made a mistake?

That's a tough one. It sounds like it may dry up your milk too fast. I would go back to the mini pill. Good luck with your decision.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

I'm not sure whether the combo pill would regulate your periods better than the mini-pill. Did you talk to your health care provider about it?
    It's common for periods to be wacky for a few months after they come back. Mine were farther apart and lighter. I was not on the pill, though.
    If I were you I would consider going back to the mini pill, although I also understand that it's not as reliable for preventing pregnancy. Not totally sure on that one, would want to ask your health care provider.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post

I'm not sure whether the combo pill would regulate your periods better than the mini-pill. Did you talk to your health care provider about it?
    It's common for periods to be wacky for a few months after they come back. Mine were farther apart and lighter. I was not on the pill, though.
    If I were you I would consider going back to the mini pill, although I also understand that it's not as reliable for preventing pregnancy. Not totally sure on that one, would want to ask your health care provider.
    I agree and I'd really have to say I doubt it would have such a drastic effect so fast... do call your PCP to discuss it in more length.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.